Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

custom body kits help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Default custom body kits help

Ive been thinking of making a wide-body kit for my 98 carlo, but im stuck on something.

i know how to do the clay and then mold but i dont know after that. I think i need like a fiberglass spray and spray the mold. is this right? and where do i get the fiberglass stuff?

thanks, jason

Old 04-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Default RE: custom body kits help

Find a good body shop or high-end custom audio shop that can do custom surrounds and flushing. They'll know what you're talking about. Glass is a pain, but if you don't mind devoting a LOT of time to just learning how to do it right, it can turn out well. Talk to the shops for supplies. You obviously won't be able to go get a chopper gun (spray on fiberglass) because of the cost, but hand-laid all you need is the resin and hardner, and then the glass itself. Tools to roll it out, and lots of practice before you put a bunch of time into a piece that comes off the mold twisted... or worse-cracked. At least that's all that I think is involved, I've only watched my friend do it once, but that seems like all that was involved. (besides final finishing) I think the hardest part would be to get the different sides to match perfectly. Then to mount it too, lots of custom bracket making. Ugh,glad it's you doing it! lol

Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Default RE: custom body kits help

yeah I heard it was a huge pain unless you have months of experience. I would make smaller molds just to learn from my mistakes, but i cant without a copper gun...guess i should find a body shop school or some thing. Thanks for the extra info!