Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Best Scratch Fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Default Best Scratch Fix

I took my car in to the dealership to get some work done, and 5 days later, after all the snow had finally melted, I noticed a nice 3" long scratch on my hood. I may call them here today and see if they'll be so kind as to fix what I'm 90% sure wasn't there before I gave them the car, but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally, I thought it might be a scuff that some wax might take off, but after washing I realized it is a pretty deep scratch (can't tell if it's down to metal, or just primer). Anyway, what kind of success has anyone had in fixing these? Does that magic scratch fixer they sell on TV work? I'm going to take it into be detailed when the snow is gone for the winter, and someone mentioned havign the detail shop touch it up and buff it. I've never really worried abotu scratches on my other cards b/c they weren't as nice, nor do I recal scratches as bad as I already have on this car after only 10 months of ownership. Any and all advice/suggestions are more than greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Default RE: Best Scratch Fix

If the scratch isn't down through the Primer ... you need to do a professional "Laying-on" of some matching color.
You have to "Feather-edge" the scratch with a piece of 400 Wet-O-Dry finishing paper.
Then, you need to "Lay-on" the matching Color with a "Rat-tail" Pin-striping Brush.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/mackbrushes...FR0yFQodqXZeug

The Pinstriping Brush is essential.
You have to put two drops of Paint on something flat ... like a tile or a pane of glass. Something that will not absorb the Paint.
Then, you load-up the brush and pull-off the excess paint by dragging it across the surface of the glass.
When the paint unloads from the brush and still lays-down a nice stripe ... lay the color into the scratch ... starting above the scratch and ending a little past it.
Let that completely dry. Completely! It's very important that the first coat is totally dry and cured.
Sand the first coat, lightly with some 800 Wet. Remove the shine.
Its OK to feather edge the "Shine removal" a couple of inches into the surrounding area.
Clean the area of residue from Wet Sanding.
Let dry.
Apply a second (and any needed subsequent coats of color to the affected area) using the above technique.
Once the scratch is filled ... do a final Wet Sand with 1000 or 1200.
Let every coat you add DRY completely.
Finally:
Clean the area and apply some 3M Black Diamond Polishing Compound.
Buff-out the area that was Wet Sanded; first.
Then, finish by Buffing-out the whole hood or panel that the scratch was on.

If you do it this way ... your scratch will be gone.
If you do the shortcut way and use the little brush-on applicator that comes with Touch-up paint. It's going to look "Touched-up" and show like a scar on your cheek.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:41 PM

[align=center]Hi `Matt, I'm sorry to read about the Scratch on your [/align][align=center]beautiful Monte Carlo[/align][align=center][X(][:-][X(][/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]I would get it back to the dealer ASAP, & have[/align][align=center]the body shop Manager give you their opinion/estimate.[/align][align=center]I hope that the dealership takes the blame.[/align][align=center]If not, I would find a good body shop, & get a estimate.[/align][align=center]Are you able to take a pic & post `it ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Maybe a good detailer could do something to attempt to hide[/align][align=center]the blemish, but a deep scratch is difficult to conceal.[/align][align=center]I wish you good luck...Please keep us update...`ok[/align][align=center]I do feel you `pain : ([/align][align=center]Peace/Out/`Space[/align]

Old 02-20-2008, 12:48 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm going to try and post a pic, but now it has been dark after work and now it is snowign with no end in sight! I called the dealership and I am going to take it there for them to look at here when I get a chance.As luck woudl have it the service rep I was workign with no longer works there (and my last trip there was the first I had ever seen him!) Now I'll be working with the others who know my history of wanting everything on my car to be worth the $28,000 sticker (and don't like it).
I'll update with a pic, etc. when I can.