Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Being a "professional" detailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:04 PM
1 Year Member
Default Being a "professional" detailer

Hey guys and gals, I apologize if this is not the right spot for this. So I haven't been out of high school very long (just 2 years this year) and I have still been trying to find what I want to do the rest of my live to make a living. So as just a little back story, I work at best buy and have been for about 2 years now. It started out as a really nice job and is way better then Micky D's. However it has changed a lot in my 2 short years there and I'm getting fed up with the managers and all the changes they are doing. So I have been thinking of starting up a "Business" and being my own boss. I love cars and I'm extremely passionate about them and I love getting my hands dirty, so it's only fitting that I go into that line of work. I want to start doing washing/detailing while I go to school and learn how to do body work and fabrication as well as paint. My question is, what kinds of tools do I need. I mean specifics, I know I will need things like a good buffer with several different pads, some really nice rags and towels (not the ones from auto zone haha), a vacuum, shampooer. But being 20 I don't really know what brands are good or where to get half of this stuff other then like amazon. Also is there anything else you guys think I would need to get going? Also is there anyone on the forums that does stuff like this? Thanks for any help you guys can give me

Old 06-03-2013, 03:58 PM

^ Hi iMuf,
Sounds like a good idea & it sure pays to do your homework & make a plan.
Wish you good luck 4sure

Below are some sights to check out & also keep checking back on your thread because I know there are a few members that are detailers.

I hope they will post their advise/help > Good Luck

(Below is from the web & theres a ton of infor on this subject on Googles etc)

Search Results
  1. How to Become a Car Detailer (with Pictures) - wikiHow

<cite class="bc">www.wikihow.com › ... › CarsBuying and Selling Cars</cite>‎

Not much formal education is required to be a car detailer, but completing high ... classes will help you handle some of the larger pieces of equipment you may ...

2. Auto Detailing Training | Detail King

<cite>www.detailking.com/training-institute/auto-detailing-training/</cite>‎

Need Help? .... You will be providing specialized auto detailing services to individual's vehicles that expect superior results. ... Eco friendly auto detailing equipment, supplies, procedures and product knowledge to help keep our students EPA ...

3. Auto Detailing Supplies, Auto Detailing Equipment and Mobile Auto ...

<cite>www.detailking.com/store-home/business-opportunity-start-up-packages/</cite>‎

Be sure to check out all of our auto detailing supplies and auto detailing ... You will receive enough detailing supplies with this kit to clean & detail about 25 ... the supplies and equipment needed to begin your auto detail shop or mobile ...

4. Mobile Auto Detailing for DOLLARS!!! - Auto Geek Online Auto ...

<cite class="bc">www.autogeekonline.net › ... › How to make money detailing cars</cite>‎

Oct 25, 2011 - 20 posts - 7 authors
    This post is for those that have chosen to become a mobile auto detailer......... Where do you start? What will you need? This post will provide ...

5. What Do You Need to Start Your Own Mobile Detailing Service ...

<cite class="bc">smallbusiness.chron.com › ... › Needs to Start a Business</cite>‎

A mobile auto detailing service is a viable venture for those wishing to start a business. ... You may be able to convert an existing vehicle into a service vehicle. ... You will additionally need supplies for cleaning vehicle interior fabrics, as well as ...

6. How to Start a Mobile Car-Detailing Business | Chron.com

<cite class="bc">smallbusiness.chron.com › ... › Starting a Car Business</cite>‎

Mobile auto detailing eliminates the need for a physical business location, ... you will be liable for vehicle damage caused by tools, buffing machines and ...

7. How to Become a Car Detailer | eHow

<cite class="bc">www.ehow.com › Careers & Work</cite>‎

Gather necessary equipment to become an independent car detailer. You will need some additional equipment for this. It is important that you have everything ...

8. Professional Automotive Detailing

<cite>autodetailingschool.blogspot.com/</cite>‎

Apr 2, 2009 – Professional auto detailing supplies, equipment, tips, tricks, techniques, ... You will need at least the following items to be able to do a complete ...

Old 06-03-2013, 04:06 PM
    1 Year Member

Thanks space, I'll check all these sites out

Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 PM

I am far from a pro, but am obsessed with the detailing of my cars/trucks. I personally use Adam's Polishes, they have a great forum community (similar to MCF) where you can get advice and learn from others as you build your skill. Take a look there and also detailersdomain.com.

Adams Forums

Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM
    1 Year Member

Originally Posted by RonBoySS
    I am far from a pro, but am obsessed with the detailing of my cars/trucks. I personally use Adam's Polishes, they have a great forum community (similar to MCF) where you can get advice and learn from others as you build your skill. Take a look there and also detailersdomain.com.

Adams Forums
    Thanks man, I'll check them out.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 PM
    Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've been starting my own little detailing business...and here is a few tips..Collect as many products as you can, the more the better. You are going to want a nice variety to choose from, such as natural carnuba products, to synthetic...multiple brands, exc. See what you like. Read up on articles of best rated products, and youtube how-to's and see how other people do their work. And best of all, PRACTICE! Give discounted prices for packages to friends and family to get your portfolio going. Don't throw out those big detailer prices until your name is known.

Last edited by Red Nightmare; 06-03-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    Old 06-04-2013, 05:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
    15 Year Member
    10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x2 on autogeek.net

That site has taught me tons over the years.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 PM
    1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare
    I've been starting my own little detailing business...and here is a few tips..Collect as many products as you can, the more the better. You are going to want a nice variety to choose from, such as natural carnuba products, to synthetic...multiple brands, exc. See what you like. Read up on articles of best rated products, and youtube how-to's and see how other people do their work. And best of all, PRACTICE! Give discounted prices for packages to friends and family to get your portfolio going. Don't throw out those big detailer prices until your name is known.
    Thanks a lot. Is it something you enjoy? Seems like everyone one some of the other forums I have been on have been telling me reasons not to do it and that I may not like it, but doing this kind of stuff is what I love. And this quote always pops up in my head "do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life." That is something I want to live by. I don't know if those people are really concerned and trying to "look out" for me or if they are saying things like that because I want to go after my dream and do something I love if that makes any sense at all. Also have you had to get any kind of insurance just in case anything bad happens? Also this question is for anyone, I have been looking at the Porter cable 7424 XP polisher and seems like it has got a ton of reviews, has anyone on here used it before who would recommend it?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 PM
    Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
    Thanks a lot. Is it something you enjoy? Seems like everyone one some of the other forums I have been on have been telling me reasons not to do it and that I may not like it, but doing this kind of stuff is what I love. And this quote always pops up in my head "do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life." That is something I want to live by. I don't know if those people are really concerned and trying to "look out" for me or if they are saying things like that because I want to go after my dream and do something I love if that makes any sense at all. Also have you had to get any kind of insurance just in case anything bad happens? Also this question is for anyone, I have been looking at the Porter cable 7424 XP polisher and seems like it has got a ton of reviews, has anyone on here used it before who would recommend it?
    Alot of people say things like that because its a very big hands on job, and very exhausting. I absolutely love detailing. Its the result you get in the end that makes it so rewarding.I have not done a detail I regret. I grew up around car restorations so the idea of restoring a cars natural beauty is what I enjoy the most.
    I have a friend who uses a porter cable DA, and he loves it. I was thinking of getting the meguiars DA since I prefer meguiars products. I have not made this a official business, more of a side job for now since I have a regular full time job.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 AM
    1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare
    Alot of people say things like that because its a very big hands on job, and very exhausting. I absolutely love detailing. Its the result you get in the end that makes it so rewarding.I have not done a detail I regret. I grew up around car restorations so the idea of restoring a cars natural beauty is what I enjoy the most.
    I have a friend who uses a porter cable DA, and he loves it. I was thinking of getting the meguiars DA since I prefer meguiars products. I have not made this a official business, more of a side job for now since I have a regular full time job.
    Yea I know all about hands on, exhausting work. I also work part time with my dad and we bathroom and kitchen remodels but I have grown up around cars and want to go into that field of work. But anyway, thanks a lot. You game me a lot of good info.

Quick Reply: Being a "professional" detailer