Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

All Mods Im Planning

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Jon

Setting the PACE of the new generation.

It kinda lost me with the underglow... But it does remind me of the old need for speed days where Underglow and lambo doors were cool XP. But go for it man i cant wait to see the outcome!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM

oh i will hahaha...i have evened down the list of mods to 9...i think with these 9 mods my monte will be very rare and different from any other monte out there, which is what i want...now i just need the 900 odd dollars to make it happen...i wish i could get lambo doors lol

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by darkbb
...i wish i could get lambo doors lol
Lambo doors can really be a pain on these cars, because, first they have to go all the way up to look right. If they only open about half-way, they look wrong. Second, you can't just buy any kit because our doors are so heavy you need special strength kits. Sure anyone will sell you a kit for it, but only some will work properly.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM

the ones i have on that ebay page have reviews written...they are the ones that go up to 60 degrees and make them look good on the car...they are also very heavy duty just for these doors...custom made and built for these doors...designed by GM, that is why they are $600 lol

Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 PM

It's your car so I would encourage you to do what you want to it. I personally wouldn't do any of the mods you listed as I am more about go then show, but thats my taste which is neither right or wrong, but just mine. On the lambo doors I would have them professionally done other wise your door jambs are going to suffer. In the end though it is your car so do what you want, but please do not put turbo badges on a non turbo car it is not cool in anyones book.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i'm just going out on a limb here but i'm gonna guess GM never designed any lambo doors. I would think there engineers are far too busy to work on anything they are not gonna put on any cars they sell on there lots.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 AM

yeah, GM did not...but there are custom chop shops that probably make a ton of money on them...and lol, i just realized this morning (i was thinking more towards butterfly wings, last night) and i realized this morning that how would i get out in my school parking lot? id have to make sure noone would park on the drivers side or i couldnt get in my car haha...it would be hard to compensate for...but i think if i could find a reliable lambo door 90 degree kit for around 700...id buy it and have a professional install it...i think my local mechanic is competent enough to do such a job

Old 02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i think if you want to have lambo doors, buy a civic lol don't ruin a monte with them.

as for wanting to seel your factory seats, you can probably get around 120-150 for them if theyre in good shape, dont expect to get a cent for the old lights tho, i kept mine and ended up using them on my buddies car and parents car for burnt out map lights and 3rd brake lights and etc.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 PM

suicide doors is what i am looking into for mine to give it some thing of a uniqu look to it

Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 PM

So, i am just wondering how much money i can sell all of my existing parts for, because i cant put in the new parts and keep the old...so i am thinking i can sell them and possibly come out on top with this modding
Definitely not going to come out ahead selling your stock parts. Only thing on the list I See that may even be possible to sell are you stock seats- and no one is going to pay big money for used, OEM seats. You won't even be able to sell the light bulbs, or exhaust parts you take off- why would anyone buy used light bulbs when new, standard replacement bulbs are dirt cheap?

My second comment is about doing all these LED lights- LED lighting is typically very directional, and doesn't spread out nicely like normal bulbs- so you end up with a pretty focused beam. I'd be worried about getting sufficient light particularly in the dome light- and to a lesser extent in the trunk. I'm just not crazy about replacing OEM stuff with aftermarket stuff that functions worse than stock- just to say you've got something custom.

would the 4 point seat belts i have below (#9) work with these seats?
About these belts- these are an absolutely terrible idea. Are you seriously going to trust your life to a $15 belt? This to me would be like replacing your airbags with a cheap $10 ebay custom piece just because it looks cool. Your car's safety systems were designed to save your life in a crash. Many engineers spent tons of hours crash testing, and evaluating all the materials involved. Do you really want to ruin that with for a $15 appearance mod?

Secondly- where are you going to mount them? The floor sides are pretty straight forward since you could possibly reuse the stock mounting points- but the rear mount points aren't supposed to be located way down by the rear bench- they're supposed to be pretty much straight back (why cars with a roll cage tend to have a bar going straight across behind the seats). Sure you could affix them to the rear deck- but then you lose all backseat functionality, and have long- nasty looking runs of belt going through the interior; not to mention, how well are the rear mounts going to be attached?

Aren't the OEM belts DOT approved also? I would imagine there must be some sort of organization that tests belts since its part of the safety system. That would be something big to look into before you buy new belts. I imagine properly certified belts are going to run way more than the price of the one you posted above.

i think so...also, what would my car look like without the back bench? because if i do put these seats in i will sell the rear bench and the two heated leather seats i have
It will look like crap IMO. It makes no sense to spend all kinds of money on appearance mods, just to remove parts, revealing unfinished, underlying surfaces. Also, don't you think it will look goofy to have the rear part of the back seats in, but no bottom? The finish under the back bench probably isn't the most ugly thing in the world- its likely half covered in floor carpeting- but its still going to look very unfinished and hacked up.

i have a lot of questions about these mods if they are reliable/ect
Typically, aftermarket products are less reliable than stock as a general rule of thumb. Add to that buying the super cheapest ebay stuff and IMO you're asking for a failure. OEM parts need to meet certain standards that these cheap parts don't have to.

i would want a twin turbo and thatd be hard to bypass the computer, and itd be hard to fit lol
What do you mean by 'bypass the computer'. The DHP Powrtuner and HPTuners can both be used to tune your pcm for any setup you would want- supercharged, turbo, whatever. The number of turbos makes no difference in if the pcm can be tuned to accommodate or not.

i couldnt find anything...other than a $2,000 turbo...thats outrageous
If a $2000 turbo kit is outrageous to you- then I'd forget about doing any major performance mods to your car. That is a huge bang for the buck- its a decent quality turbo, and its a direct bolt on kit. Look at supercharger and turbo kits for some of the modern cars- many kits start at $5k+. Heck, the LS4 guys on here start at $5500 for an intercooled turbo kit for their cars- so you'd be getting off extremely cheap with only $2k- especially for the power gains.

for 2,300 i might pass for awhile lol...especially when it hardly improves the performance, mostly just bragging rights
A turbo kit will add much more than bragging rights- do a little more reading and research on the forums if you ever seriously consider doing performance mods. Only things I think that could beat it for an NA 3800 in bang for the buck are a top swap (which is way more labor intensive) and nitrous.

but i just got a new top half of my motor and the tranny has been checked and i was told it would go another 50,000 miles no maintenance...the whole car that is
Did the person who 'told' you give you a written warranty to back up that claim? If not- I wouldn't count on it. I don't know how many miles you have- but saying a car will go 50k more miles with zero maintenance is just a dice roll. It could, but there are also a lot of things that can break outside of just the engine's top end and the transmission. Not to mention, if you beat on the car a lot, you could easily cook another tranny in that time period.

the ones i have on that ebay page have reviews written...they are the ones that go up to 60 degrees and make them look good on the car...they are also very heavy duty just for these doors...custom made and built for these doors...designed by GM, that is why they are $600 lol
IMO 60* is not enough. I'd want a true 90* to even consider it. I think it looks stupid when people have to run the seat all the way back, and still have to crawl into the car- its not worth the looks to make it 10x more difficult to get into the car.

Secondly, GM didn't design any lambo doors for these cars- any website that tells you that is full of crap, and I certainly wouldn't buy any product from them.

(i was thinking more towards butterfly wings, last night) and i realized this morning that how would i get out in my school parking lot? id have to make sure noone would park on the drivers side or i couldnt get in my car haha
The butterfly door idea could work, but you'd have to severely lighten the door- heavily reinforce the frame, and put the hinge on the A-pillar (which would also need reinforcement); then it would swing more up and out, instead of having so much swept area away from the car:

Obviously something like that would be totally unrealistic on these cars unless you spent a good bit of money with a fabricator.

Just my opinions on the ideas. I left the #'s out since it appears that you've changed the #'s on the list since you first posted.

Quick Reply: All Mods Im Planning