Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): What Brand/model tires do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
I have all good things to say about Michelin.

I currently have Pilot Super Sports on my Monte Carlo, 235/50R18. 30K mile warranty, ultra high performance summer tire, super quiet, noticeably more grip than the average all-season, I've logged roughly 9K miles without rotating yet and wear seems good; rears still look brand new on the tread surface.
A 30K mile warranty, and you have "all good things to say?" Really? 30K?

I personally would never touch a Michelin since one disintegrated (and I don't mean "fell apart," I mean literally disintegrated, as in disappeared, as in nothing left but rim) on my gf's Mercedes while she was driving on SR 528 at just over the speed limit. But if I'd never had that experience, I still would not use my money to buy a tire with a 30K warranty.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just a hunch, but I would hazard to guess that tire fell apart because it picked up a nail or something, leaked out and was being driven on low pressure at high speed. That'll happen to any tire.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by 96z34man
A 30K mile warranty, and you have "all good things to say?" Really? 30K?

I personally would never touch a Michelin since one disintegrated (and I don't mean "fell apart," I mean literally disintegrated, as in disappeared, as in nothing left but rim) on my gf's Mercedes while she was driving on SR 528 at just over the speed limit. But if I'd never had that experience, I still would not use my money to buy a tire with a 30K warranty.
That's probably because you don't care much about having a sticky performance tire.

I'll be lucky if the NT05R on the back of my vette even last 10k miles and thats if i baby it all over. Doesn't mean they're a crappy tire just because the tread wear rating is 00. They're extremely sticky tires (one of the few that will hold 600 whp in a low profile 19" wheel). Its a tradeoff, mileage for performance.

Sorry to hear you had bad luck with a Michelin, but the super sport and sport cup 2 tires are some of the best street tires you can buy right now if you're looking for performance.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
That's probably because you don't care much about having a sticky performance tire.

I'll be lucky if the NT05R on the back of my vette even last 10k miles and thats if i baby it all over. Doesn't mean they're a crappy tire just because the tread wear rating is 00.
Actually, that's exactly what it means, unless you're rich and can actually afford to replace tires every 10K miles. I'm not, and I can't.

I'm also not interested in other people's definition of "sticky" anymore. I'm running RS-A's, another 00 treadwear rated tire that costs too damn much. The rear end broke loose on me two days ago. With the traction control ON. I brought it back in about two seconds, because I've been driving for 35 years, but you can bet your intestines you will never see me **** away money on an RS-A, either.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:50 PM

Actually, that's exactly what it means, unless you're rich and can actually afford to replace tires every 10K miles. I'm not, and I can't.
My point was just that not everyone is solely concerned with mileage. Some people are fine with a 30K mile tire if it increases handling performance.

You don't need to be "rich" to replace tires that often. Many people have project cars or weekend cars that see that kind of mileage over the course of 1-3+ years. You don't need a 100k tire because the tires will be rotten from age before it gets that kind of mileage on it.

That's how my vette is - a little driving to work, a good bit of weekend cruising, and the occasional 1/2 mile event. Buying tires more often might sound expensive, but think about it this way - it was breaking the rear end loose hard even at 65-70 mph on fairly high end summer tires previously. I'd rather replace tires more often than stuff the thing into a wall and be out the whole car.

I'm also not interested in other people's definition of "sticky" anymore. I'm running RS-A's, another 00 treadwear rated tire that costs too damn much. The rear end broke loose on me two days ago. With the traction control ON. I brought it back in about two seconds, because I've been driving for 35 years, but you can bet your intestines you will never see me **** away money on an RS-A, either.
RS-A, as in goodyear? I might be thinking of the wrong tire, but isn't that an all season sport tire? If so, that certainly isn't a 00 treadwear tire...

If you really do have some R compound tires on your car and you're still breaking them loose on the street bad enough the car can't save it, it sounds like you're way over-driving the car given the tires you've got?

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 12-10-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:24 PM

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/eagle-rs-a

Apparently, you're thinking of the wrong tire.

And, as I've mentioned numerous times on this site, the car isn't currently generating enough horsepower for me to "over-drive" it. The. Tires. Just. Suck. For over $200 apiece. Happily, I didn't buy them. But perhaps now you understand why I want them gone.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

This is great to have all this information, I want to thank all you for posting. Because I have been off the road with my own vehicles for about 8 years I have been out of the loop. I do have Michelins on my Equinox and my Torrent and I love them they are so quiet. The BFG that were on the Torrent were so noisy. On the Monte I just have stock size Goodyears and have had great luck with them.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/recall I checked the RS-A tire to see what it was and there has been a recall on some of them. Check the link.

Just a hunch, but I would hazard to guess that tire fell apart because it picked up a nail or something, leaked out and was being driven on low pressure at high speed. That'll happen to any tire. I agree with plumbob on this one
I have seen this happen also with my GF car she's been driving as long as me and sometimes I wonder if she has learned anything.

For street tires the Michelin "Defender" at Costco is hard to beat. About $20/tire more than BFG or others, but has a 90,000 mile warranty. It's a good all around, all season tire with great tread and handling. Costco also offers a road hazard warranty. They fix tread punctures free, and if the sidewall is damaged they replace that tire as well as the opposing one free regardless of the mileage as long as it is w/in the warranty mileage of the tire.

We are getting a new Costco nearby and I can't wait to check it out. My Son in law and daughter by there and have been very happy.
I have purchased from Sam's club and have been very satisfied with the tires and warranty I have gotten there.
Great info for sure!!

Old 12-11-2016, 11:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
This is great to have all this information, I want to thank all you for posting. Because I have been off the road with my own vehicles for about 8 years I have been out of the loop. I do have Michelins on my Equinox and my Torrent and I love them they are so quiet. The BFG that were on the Torrent were so noisy. On the Monte I just have stock size Goodyears and have had great luck with them.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/recall I checked the RS-A tire to see what it was and there has been a recall on some of them. Check the link.

Just a hunch, but I would hazard to guess that tire fell apart because it picked up a nail or something, leaked out and was being driven on low pressure at high speed. That'll happen to any tire. I agree with plumbob on this one
I have seen this happen also with my GF car she's been driving as long as me and sometimes I wonder if she has learned anything.

For street tires the Michelin "Defender" at Costco is hard to beat. About $20/tire more than BFG or others, but has a 90,000 mile warranty. It's a good all around, all season tire with great tread and handling. Costco also offers a road hazard warranty. They fix tread punctures free, and if the sidewall is damaged they replace that tire as well as the opposing one free regardless of the mileage as long as it is w/in the warranty mileage of the tire.

We are getting a new Costco nearby and I can't wait to check it out. My Son in law and daughter by there and have been very happy.
I have purchased from Sam's club and have been very satisfied with the tires and warranty I have gotten there.
Great info for sure!!
Costco also fills with Nitrogen and gives free rotations for the life of the tires.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:57 PM

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/eagle-rs-a

Apparently, you're thinking of the wrong tire.

And, as I've mentioned numerous times on this site, the car isn't currently generating enough horsepower for me to "over-drive" it. The. Tires. Just. Suck. For over $200 apiece. Happily, I didn't buy them. But perhaps now you understand why I want them gone.
Nope, that was exactly the tire I was thinking of. Where I got confused is when you said it was also a 00 treadwear tire. 0/00 tires are typically racing tires, drag radials, etc. So that's why I was surprised to hear you would be breaking them loose so bad on the street.

Not that you can compare across brands, but the RSA in the link is a 260 treadwear all season. That makes a lot more sense that the grip isn't that great with them, all season tires aren't usually all that great for performance. Im not surprised they're not holding up well either, 260 treadwear is pretty low from a company that has 600+ treadwear tires available.

Going to a dedicated summer tire can help open up your options if you want better grip, but you'll still pay for it in longevity of the tire (although the he mileage you got from these is as bad as some of the modern 'sticky' tires anyways).

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 12-12-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I should know this from having to dust inside the rims all the time for the lights didn't even gave to go look HAHAHA .
I run the BFGOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2