Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The Show, Shine, Shag and Dine car show

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:33 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default The Show, Shine, **** and Dine car show

For 7 years now, Garnett Street (the historic district of Henderson, NC) is closed down so about a thousand cars can roll into Henderson from Maryland, West Virginia, Flordia, Georga, Virginia, and of course, North Carolina. This year only about 900 showed up though. I took a few pictures of my favorites, although there were MANY MANY MANY MANY more than what is pictured.

There were several 57 Chevies, mostly 2 doors. You don't see a nice 4 door very often though.

I always liked hte Challenger (VANISING POINT!!!), and when I saw this 1970 Hemi Challenger... awwwwww man.

Now for a really rare treat... a Dodge Charger 500, 440 magnum. Very nice.

And for a history lesson. The Corbitt trucks were assembled in Henderson, NC for several years until they went out of business sometime in the 1930's if I remember correctly. Every year for the show, they bring hte Corbitt's back to their hometown (WHICH IS ALSO MY HOME TOWN!!!!)

I always had a soft spot for hte Mercury Cougar.. here is a 1968

Then a classic we are all aware of... the Dodge Charger Daytona. This one, as the owner proved, is defintly an original Daytona. He has record for every owner who ever had it, and photos of it new, at Daytona meetings, and pictures of it as he restored it. I feel very fortunate to have seen it, the owner was very friendly and I talked to him for a long time.

A 1960 Impala... I have a replica like this in my room.

Then a 1956 Nash Metropolitan, I swear I ahd a toy engine as a child larger than the engine in this car.

Then from a set of stairs I took a picture of a Roadrunner.. I always had a soft spot for these as well.

This wasn't in the show, but it was very interesting how the owner is keeping it rusty but not rusted thru, and keeping it running. This is actually how he wants it look. I took the picture since we have a 1950 truck ourselves... the scary thing is, I really like this.

Heres a couple of pictures of hte streets o you can see just how long this show was and how many people cehck it out. There are dragsters in there, numerous venders... and about a mile of street clsoed off and lined with cars, plus some parking lots here and there with cars in them.

A 1963? Thunderbird.

Here is our own entry...

NOW, lets close on a high note. Two Chevrolets powered by 502's (or claim to be 502's atelast, Idon't know how to tell) . Teh first one is a 1965 Chevrolet Corvette with a 502, the Second is a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 502 Supercharged (supposebly the original owner did this and it's just been rebuilt a few times, including when it was restored).

Old 10-26-2008, 06:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: The Show, Shine, **** and Dine car show

Thanks Duane for sharing the pics with us of your weekend car show. But one correction, the last car shown is not a supercharged 502, but a RAM JET 502/502. No blower there. Nice tho.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:02 PM

5 Year Member

ouch, ya caught me.

i concede that you are right. whoops

Old 10-26-2008, 07:36 PM

well theres all them pictures. i never got to seein them on fb.

what it your entry?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:12 PM

5 Year Member

the green 1950 chevrolet truck is our entry

Old 10-26-2008, 09:19 PM

Wow Thanks for posting the pics!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:58 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

SSuper nice pictures Duane. Thanks for sharing with us.

The unrestored '50 pickup, it's the owners version of a rat rod. I for one am getting very tired of this trend. Amd that's all it is. People trying to cash in on a trend they think they can make a buck off of.

When I was younger, no one thought of making their vehicle look like this. And you can tell the cars & trucks that have been made up to look old and worn. Even down to the rust look.

Some friends of ours own a '50 pickupyou may like? It's black outside with a pewter paint used inside the cab. Another friend told me the owner of the pickup restored it in oe year's time. VERY nice work.