New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New member with questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Default New member with questions.

Hello everyone my names Eric. I own an 02 Monte Carlo. It has the 3.4L V6, the car has about 177000 miles on it and I've owned it since around 80000. A couple weeks ago my check engine came on and I had the codes ran at autozone. It said the problem was the IAC so I went ahead and bought a new one, installed it, and had the check engine reset. About a week later it came back on and it was the same codes as the time before. I decided to remove the throttle body and clean it up. After I did this I put some fuel injector cleaner in and some good gas and reset the light. Once again the light came back on and now the car is running rough in idle and also when I am sitting in drive waiting at a stop light. Its almost gotten to the point were it might stall. Its been six days since I cleaned the throttle body. I'm somewhat new to working on my car but I enjoy it. Maybe a little insight on something I could do besides take it to the mechanic. Thanks

Old 11-13-2013, 03:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Eric:
Welcome to the forum...

Whens the last time you changed out the air filter? Also you may want to remove. clean and reinstall the TPS. (throttle position sensor) Otherwise the Monte drives ok? May I also suggest, getting some MAF cleaner. (Mass Air Flow sensor) remove it clean it with the MAF cleaner and reinstall it. Let us know if this helped your issue... I'm sure someone else will chime in with some more ideas!
Thanks for joining the MCF Family.
Check in to our daily Blog and say hello!

Heres a pic of where the sensors are located.
Name:  iac_01.jpg
Views: 2602
Size:  93.4 KB

Old 11-13-2013, 04:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

@Eric26 - What is the code you're getting (starts with a P and then some numbers). That will help get you some good info hopefully.

@David - That pic won't apply here. Eric26 has a 3400, placement is similiar for the most part, but not the same.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

[QUOTE=The_Maniac;581489

@David - That pic won't apply here. Eric26 has a 3400, placement is similiar for the most part, but not the same.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jason!

You know I at least gave some valuable info.... Didn't I ? LOL

Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 PM

I went to autozone and right now my car is running three codes. P0300, p0171, p1811. The next thing I'm gonna do is replace the fuel cleaner. Can't get to it for a few days but once I do that I'll let you guys know if that resolved the problem or not. Already replaced the air filter. Thanks for the replys!

Old 11-13-2013, 06:41 PM

Fuel filter*

Old 11-13-2013, 08:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I did some look ups in the shop book on your car.
P1811 - This is transmission related, the car is detecting a problem in the time it's taking the car to shift. First step, check if you have the proper amount of fluid, if not, add some. Outside of that, I would recommend consulting a transmission shop (this gets into issues with line pressures, solenoids, seals, stuff I honestly don't mess with).
P0300 - Appears to be random misfiring detected.
P0171 - The average long term fuel trim value is above 20 percent and is present for 6 seconds. This can ALSO cause code P0300.

Focus on the P0171. It states to check for vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks and the condition of your O2 sensor.

Given your current codes and the time you have owned this Monte, I would suggest some maintenance (if they have not been done already):
- On the 3400, pull the Thottle Body and EGR, on this engine, the passage between the two (casted aluminum, part of the UIM) can develop deposits in that pathway obstructing the EGR for doing it's job.
- Change air filter.
- Change Fuel Filter.
- If you have not changed plugs and wires, do this this ASAP. You put almost 100,000 miles on the car. The factory plugs were rated for 100,000-150,000 miles (and the 150K is PUSHING it). Do NOT use BOSCH plugs, they are junk. I recommend AC Delco or NGK Platinum plugs. I typically use AC Delco wire sets if I can. RockAuto Parts Catalog is a GREAT source for these (I normally get the plugs for $3 after shipping).
- New O2 sensor off the rear exhaust manifold (also known as the Up Stream O2). Stick with AC Delco or Delphi for this.
- Clean the MAF with MAF Cleaner (this is not as critical on the 3400 as it is on the 3800).

These are all strong measures to hopefully fixing your car AND making sure she's reliable moving forward.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:53 PM

Sounds good. So far I've changed the air filter, I got a fuel filter just have to wait to get time do change it, hopefully tomorrow. I'm going to clean the MAF sensor and the o2 sensor as well. Let you know how it goes and if solves the problems. Thanks again for the help!

Old 11-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Had a tune up at about 135000 so I haven't been to neglectful to my vehicle.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:48 AM

hope everything works out for ya. I have an on ls with 178401 on the odometer and am within a week ordering new plugs and wires. Haven't had the car but just over 9wks and it needs some TLC as the previous owners(s) didnt. Changed oil day one and a few days later checked it only to see that enough sludge had been in there that one change didn't do it the right justice. Running castrol gtx high mileage 5w30 with a pint of marvel. Seems to be doing much better other than the change oil soon light randomly comes on still whereas it was constant. Has overheated on me a few times to where it shut off and wouldn't start for a bit so I have a new thermostat(195) in the glovebox ready to go in once I have a few hours free to do so. Other than that... The 3400 seems to hold up well with maintenance with these miles. Good luck and keep us posted

Quick Reply: New member with questions.