NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Classic NASCAR Photo of the Day

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Usually they're Bob Jenkins commentaries... and he retired this past year to care for his wife, who died of cancer just a few weeks ago.

Photo for today.... this is a letter written by Jacque Passiono, also known as "Jack Passino" who was in charge of the Ford "Total Performance" Racing era of the time. He was seen frequently at the tracks. This letter was written 10 days after the first Alabama 500 had been run, and a Dodge had won that race.

In 1969, Ford had introduced its Talladega model with the aero nose and hadn't lost a superspeedway race all year, until now. Ten days after the Talladega race, where the Dodge Daytona was set to make its debut, Jacque Passino sent this letter to the commisioner of auto racing. He was arguing that at this point in the year, the car should be a 1970 model, and have to comply with 1970 rules, which he says it did not. It was really just an effort by Ford to keep a Dodge they knew now was so competitive off the race track. Ford was arguably pretty bitter about having a 9 month win streak on superspeedway broken....

But can you really blame Ford? Dodge had successfully litigated NASCAR leading up to the 1969 Daytona 500 claiming that the Boss 429 didn't mean homologation rules and prevented Ford from using the new engine until late March.

At this point, NASCAR had already let the new Dodge Charger Daytona 500 models run Talladega... and Richard Brickhouse won the race, Bobby Isaac running 2nd.... the rest of hte field was filled with unmemorable drivers whom Bill France had to call in to run the race since all the other ones boycotted. Of those drivers was Richard Childress in a '69 Chevrolet.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 12-14-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 AM

5 Year Member

I think this might be a Don Hunter photograph.... but here is a shot of Bobby Allison pitting a 1969 Mercury Cyclone in 1971... not sure of the track.

The 1968-69 Torino/Cyclone body lines were more aerodynamic than the 1970-71, and cars were allowed to run for up to 3 years after they were produced.

Holman Moody, using many of the parts they had accumulated from several years for teaming with Ford, plus bringing over driver Bobby Allison with his sponsor, Coca~Cola, and the pajama pants pit crew, Holman Moody went out and won nearly every superspeedway race that year.

If you look at a schedule of 1971, every race was pretty much won by either Bobby Allison or Richard Petty... occasionally the Wood Bros would win a race.

Bobby was the first driver to run a radio in his car with success too... might try to get more information on taht later...... but I feel like this is enough of a story for todya.

Anywho, here's the picture...

Old 12-15-2012, 07:55 AM

5 Year Member

I'm going to try to make that my last Torino shot for a week or so. I just lined up several shots of some 1960's GM stuff by request of a member. I also have a few more Winged Dodge pictures to show you.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:12 AM

5 Year Member

Here is a photo to see how many raging heterosexual males are looking at my photos.....

I believe that was Atlanta in 1967. Not that it matters a whole lot. Timing and scoring was a lot more exciting back then....

Old 12-16-2012, 11:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is pretty hot Duane! She probably don't look like that anymore...

I've noticed that back in the day the drivers didn't usually marry super hot supermodel types like they do now. A drivers wife was much more plain back in the day. Couldn't have anything to do with the $$$$$ involved in the sport now, could it?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:57 PM

5 Year Member

She may have a hot granddaughter that looks like that... wonder if Grandma shows her those pictures.... "Back in my day...." "GRANDMA, STOP!!!"

Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 AM

5 Year Member

Photo of the day.... requests were made for more of the GM stuff.

GM was not a factor after about 1965 when they officially pulled out of racing. they were under scrutiny from Congress for encouraging dangerous driving by endorsing all their racing programs, and NASCAR wouldn't approve their 427 engine for a long time. So they just pulled out..... can't say I blame them. There is a longer version of this story dating back to 1958 when all the manufacturers backed out of racing, but then Ford and Dodge turned that around and started offering the racing parts to dealers, and then individual dealers started supporting races... which is why most 1960's race cars have a major dealer franchise printed on the car somewhere instead of the manufacturers name.

Anywho, that leads up to the fact that any Chevrolet running in the late 70s and early 70's was not factory backed. This independent racer showed up for the 1970 Daytona 500 with a brand new 1970 Impala and finished 22nd in his 125 mile qualifier, not good enough to make the 40 car field cut. Three '69 Chevrolets competed in the Daytona 500 this year.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:46 AM

5 Year Member

Photo of the day... the remains of Lee Petty's car that went over the wall at Daytona in 1961.

The crash involved I believe Johnny Beauchamp and they they collided during the 100 mile qualifying race. Petty and Beauchamp both went over the wall and Petty ended up being rushed to the hospital. Many well wishers gathered at the hospital, and a member of the Petty family stepped out everyday to accept their gratitude and report on conditions. Lee would go on to help run the race team, but would never race again.

What people often forget was that in the other qualifying race that day, Petty went over the wall in nearly the same spot, but only went to the infield care center to get debris removed from his eyes.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That car would look cool in Dale Jr's backyard right beside the car Peblo used to blow up the jet dryer

Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

I never knew the Impala raced. Did they ever do anything with the 71 Impala?

Quick Reply: Classic NASCAR Photo of the Day