Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Monte not starting =[

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm glad you got it all worked out. But to be on the safe side, if your car is going to be outside and it's below freezing, always keep at least 1/4 of a tank of gas in it.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 PM

Thank god it was something so simple and easy to swap out! Im happy ya got you baby back on the road

Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

glad to see it was nothing to major!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Glad to hear you got it back and it was nothing major!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:41 PM

I'm glad you got it fixed.

For those of you looking for answers to your problems, there are a few things you can do to try and diagnose the problem if your car is not starting.

Make sure that you are getting fuel by testing the fuel pressure. A fuel pressure guage is a lot cheaper and a lot less work than guessing it is the fuel pump and being wrong. I've tested my pressure before and it is very easy. Any Monte Carlo service manual should show were to hook up the guage along with the proper fuel pressure reading.

If you have no spark you can test to see if it is you Mass Air Flow sensor by unhooking it. The computer will go into "safe mode" with it unhooked and the car will start if the MAF is the problem.

From experience, one other culprit is the crank position sensor. My 2000 SS threw a code last spring RE: the crank position sensor but the car was running fine. Last month it was running fine when upon acceleration the engine died and I couldn't get it started (with no service engine or check engine light). I waited 5 minutes and it started up. The same thing happen again later that day. Remembering the prior code I changed the crank position sensor and the problem went away.

I hope this help someone out there.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Thanks guys! I was soooo glad to have her back for sure and all my friends were happy too lol. Although I haven't been able to drive her very much bcuz of all the snow and ice =[

Old 02-15-2010, 10:28 PM

Now that you said it was the MAF, that explains the running rough. I'm pretty sure the ECU is supposed to check the MAF signal and report a code, but then again maybe not. There are a lot of things that can go wrong where a "check engine" light will not come on. With all these sensors on engines these days, newer cars are getting better with reporting problems as they happen. But they're not perfect.

For example, I'm so used to a Beretta not telling me that the IAC is bad that I include that in my troubleshooting and pull it off to check for carbon deposits. The other day the Check Engine light came on in the Monte. I got worried and had it scanned right away. It turned out to be the a bad thermostat. I've never owned a car that told me my thermostat was bad! An $8 part and a 15-minute job with wrenches/sockets. Boy, was I happy.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Sensor went out again =[

My dad wants to take the K&N air filter out of it and put the stock one back in which totally bites to see if it fixes the problem. That doesnt make any sense though bcuz its had the filter in it for months and its just now having problems

I just don't get it!

Between the SeaWorld thing and now this again, I'm going to have a mental breakdown

Old 02-28-2010, 12:54 AM

LOL k&N has nothing to do with Sensor going out! Some people will clean them and put to much oil on them and you will have to clean maff sensor but that's it. Tell him to get a real GM one not some cheap parts store one! I know someone with a mustang that got 4 bad ones and got a refund and went to ford an paid the extra money and that was 4 years ago and it still on the car

Last edited by SIC LSX; 02-28-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 PM

well?

Quick Reply: Monte not starting =[