Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): An animal ate my wiring!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default An animal ate my wiring!

So I've had some issues with the P0443 code for the past two months or so. As I went in to check the purge vent valve, I was greeted with the fine inconvenience attached to the post. I've already located a nest full of straw and gasket material in the engine before, but I cleaned it out and didn't worry about it. Anyway, I'm not sure if I should just run wire in between the green wire to reconnect it or to buy a new harness. However, those wires come off of a larger harness. I'm not sure what I should do and if I should even buy a purge vent valve.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:05 AM

If it were me, I would just replace the section of wire. Just insulate it good with some heat shrink and itll be fine.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thank you sir. This brings up my next question - how do you suppose I keep animals out of my engine bay? I suspect they are climbing up from the bottom, and I even had the engine cover on, but I suppose it's a small squirrel or something. I looked for an aftermarket splash guard for the Monte but didn't see much.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:38 PM

That's a tough question that people have struggled with since cars were invented. Certainly makes it worse when you don't even know for sure exactly what kind of animal it is. Id suspect a mouse as theyre the most common for doing this type of stuff, but you certainly could be right.

IMO youre not going to find a belly pan / splash gaurd that 100% seals off the bottom of the engine bay. You could certainly make one out of ABS or something, but youll still have decent sized holes on the sides- if nothing else at least for the axle and tie rod to pass through / articulate as well as a large one at the rear for the exhaust to pass though without melting it.

I'd give a shot to rodent repellent spray. Obviously thats easiest if you park in a garage. If you park outside in a consistent spot at home, you could try spraying that area to get the smell to soak in. If you park outside in inconsistent areas, then perhaps try spraying the lower engine cradle (maybe from the top side down so its on surfaces that are less likely to wash away in the first rain storm).

They do make ultrasonic repellents and such too, but that'll depend on close access to power and TBH I've not had great luck with them (for a shed, but still trying to keep them out of an area).

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 02-22-2021 at 09:59 PM.