Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Having a whistle noise from the motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob
Any chance you can make a video with audio and upload it on YouTube, then copy the link and paste it in a post here?

Does it sound like this?
3800 Series II whistling noise - YouTube

Commentary on this video doesn't say what the cause was (hate that), but one guy said he had the same noise caused by a vacuum leak from the upper intake manifold gasket near the MAP sensor. I would also check where the throttle body connects to the UIM. You could try a rudimentary smoke test by moving a smokey cigar around those gaskets to see if smoke pulls in.

Another possibility is a dirty IAC valve with a stuck pintle, but that usually effects the idle. Might be worth checking out though.

If you have access to a scan tool capable of reading fuel trim values check them. Ideal readings are 0% Short term and 0% Long term. Anything more than about + or - 10% would be a strong indicator of a vacuum leak.
It kinda sounds like that and I will try and make a video tomorrow when I get off work

Old 05-26-2016, 09:46 PM

Any chance you can make a video with audio and upload it on YouTube, then copy the link and paste it in a post here?

Does it sound like this?

Commentary on this video doesn't say what the cause was (hate that), but one guy said he had the same noise caused by a vacuum leak from the upper intake manifold gasket near the MAP sensor. I would also check where the throttle body connects to the UIM. You could try a rudimentary smoke test by moving a smokey cigar around those gaskets to see if smoke pulls in.

Another possibility is a dirty IAC valve with a stuck pintle, but that usually effects the idle. Might be worth checking out though.

If you have access to a scan tool capable of reading fuel trim values check them. Ideal readings are 0% Short term and 0% Long term. Anything more than about + or - 10% would be a strong indicator of a vacuum leak.
When my uncle had the car before me the upper intake blew up cause of the fuel pressure regular and I was the one that put the new one on so there might be a vacuum leak somewhere

Old 05-27-2016, 10:54 AM

Does it sound like this?

https://youtu.be/4J898U0Q6C0

Old 05-27-2016, 11:04 AM

Does it sound like this?

I posted the video

Old 05-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Please post a link to the video.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:33 PM

https://youtu.be/4J898U0Q6C0

Old 05-27-2016, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member

Not a vacuum leak.
That sound fluctuates a little and sounds like metal on metal or rubber or "harmonic" vibration. A vacuum leak would have a more steady sound that might increase in pitch with RPM's.
I would say it's a pulley or bearing, possibly the harmonic balancer since that's the drive pulley They don't call it "harmonic balancer" for nothing. I know you said you took the belt off but there could still be noise from friction if it's loose on the crankshaft or rubbing or coming apart or crankshaft bearings vibrating. You might want to pick up a mechanics stethoscope from Harbor Freight Tools for about $5 and put the end of the scope directly on metal near the pulleys and see where the noise is loudest, but my bet is on the balancer. If it is, get it fixed soon before it destroys the crank bearings or flies through the radiator.

Could also be a bad crankshaft bearing making the noise.

Clickable Link to your video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J89...ature=youtu.be

Here's a video about harmonic balancers:

Last edited by plumbob; 05-27-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:40 PM

Not a vacuum leak.
That sound fluctuates a little and sounds like metal on metal or rubber or "harmonic" vibration. A vacuum leak would have a more steady sound that might increase in pitch with RPM's.
I would say it's a pulley or bearing, possibly the harmonic balancer since that's the drive pulley They don't call it "harmonic balancer" for nothing. I know you said you took the belt off but there could still be noise from friction if it's loose on the crankshaft or rubbing or coming apart or crankshaft bearings vibrating. You might want to pick up a mechanics stethoscope from Harbor Freight Tools for about $5 and put the end of the scope directly on metal near the pulleys and see where the noise is loudest, but my bet is on the balancer. If it is, get it fixed soon before it destroys the crank bearings or flies through the radiator.

Clickable Link to your video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J89...ature=youtu.be

Here's a video about harmonic balancers: HARMONIC BALANCER / DAMPER - Everything you ever wanted to know!! - YouTube
That is probably y the crankshaft position sensor code keeps coming up thanks for all the info

Old 05-27-2016, 06:53 PM

Not a vacuum leak.

Could also be a bad crankshaft bearing making the noise.

Here's a video about harmonic balancers: HARMONIC BALANCER / DAMPER - Everything you ever wanted to know!! - YouTube
Plus the car was sitting up for about three years but it was started every couple of weeks

Old 05-27-2016, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member

It all makes sense.
Please follow up with the outcome.