Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Default antifreeze

Hello to all. I have a hopin one of the rear wheels but can't pin point the problem. Sometimes it happens when the car will sit over night then as I drive it it goes away. On the freeway it is intermitent. Any ideas.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Default RE: antifreeze

Is there ice forming on the wheel(s) over night? I've heard that ice can throw the tires off and make the car shudder. Maybe something is inside the tire? My dad's old trailer was vibrating like crazy on a trip so we stopped at a tire place and had them take a look at it, turns out that there was another valve stem inside the tire and that little bit of plastic was causing not only the trailer to shake, but the whole damn pickup.

Oh, and you would probably get more responses if this was posted in the General Tech board.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:32 PM

And here I thought we were going to get a group buy deal on antifreeze lol.

Probly just ice on the tire. I've had this happen before and don't really notice it till I get up to speed.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:58 PM

I had a similar problem and it turned-out to be that the Steel Belt separated and caused the tire to be out-of-round. Hitting a big pothole can cause the Steel Belt to dislodge and slip.
It was visually noticeable. There was a bulge in the tire where the tread and the sidewall meet.
The tire was replaced by Michelin, but I had to pay a pro-rated charge for the wear on the tire up until the time it failled.

Why is this thread called "Antifreeze"?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:08 PM

I would have to agree that checking the tire for broken belts would be the first plan. A broken belt can shake things enought to make you think you need to have your tires rebalanced and your suspension realigned.

Secondly, I know there was a TSB that stated there were cracks in the aluminum castings of some of the wheels, where moisture could condense, freeze and therefore throw the balance off.

Regardless, I'm sure everyone would be interested to hear what it turns out to be. Thanks, and hope it helps.

-Adrian