Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

85 v6 4.3 throttle body injection Monte Carlo won't start, in need of desperate help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Default 85 v6 4.3 throttle body injection Monte Carlo won't start, in need of desperate help!

So my car has been broke down for about 3 weeks now and I have tried almost everything that I and about 3 or 4 other people who work on old cars can think of that is within my power and I have come up with nothing. The problem basically boils down to the car will not run when it is hot, like on hot days or if I have been driving it for a bit and it progressively worsens as it starts to get hot, but on colder days, like maybe in the 70's, it will start and idle just fine, and like i said run for a while. I have tried almost everything, replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, ignition coil, ignition control module, accelerator pump....and still nothing. The carborator (probably not the right word but that's what everyone has been calling it so I will stick with that) has been taken apart and cleaned, and I'm just really at a loss. The injectors spray fine when it's cool outside, and the car will idle just fine, and everything will be working fine. But as soon as it gets hot, it progressively starts to run worse until it will turn over but nothing else. The injectors start to drip when it is turning over so it's acting just like it isn't getting any gas too it, so i'm thinking some kind of vapor lock, but why would it happen so rapidly? The things that sit on the injectors have been acting up a lot lately also but when i got my car to run this morning (because it was cool out) i played with the wires going to the things that give power to the injectors because they had been fused (the shaddered word, but my spelling is terrible) but nothing happened when i messed with it, and i messed with the things on the injectors too but it still idled fine. I'm attempting to change the fuel filter but the bolts are frozen and i'm afraid to kind the fuel line so i'm waiting to have someone more precise do that for me. But if anyone has anything that can be helpful please let me know through an e-mail or just start commenting on this because i would like to have my car back asap. If i can think of any other information that i have forgotten then I will post that. Btw my name is Matt.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

hey Matt welcome to the forum, this sounds odly alot like our mod the popcorn king issue he's having with his jimmy w the 4.3 and it's been an ingoing issue i know it sounds odd try unpluging the map sencor n see if it changes the way it runs? or starts

Last edited by Budsjlm; 07-29-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would do the fuel filter for sure and check the fuel pump

Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 PM

Yes someone mentioned map sensor once actually but i forgot all about that, I will try that. And the fuel filter will get done regardless this weekend, so i hope that is or at least helps out the process. Thanks very much for the answers and i will update everyone as it starts getting done. Anymore suggestions are awesome, keep 'em coming

Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 PM

also check the most simple things as well as when you do the fuel filter. as in tune up and clean the throttle injectorbody. also throw a multi meter on the plug to the throtle body injectors to see if it is getting the corect voltage signal. it to could some how be grounding out some where

Old 08-01-2010, 01:27 PM

Sounds to me like it is vapor locking!