General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Reasons for poor gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When swapping out the spark plugs and wiresets, is it a good idea to also swap out the coils as well?

As far as the wires I'm currently looking at this wireset it's a little more spendy but I'm going to be hooking my subs and amp back up soon and I want all my electrical stuff in better than working order.

As far as the spark plugs go, I think I found some that fit my mind set, one of these NGK laser platinum or iridium. Says they offer outstanding acceleration and high fuel efficiency .

Old 04-24-2010, 07:30 PM

When swapping out the spark plugs and wiresets, is it a good idea to also swap out the coils as well?
Not necessary- coils aren't really a tune up item, plus they don't really degrade- most coil problems I've seen result in loss of spark completely (although it may be intermittent when it happens)- and not a degradation of voltage over time.

As far as the wires I'm currently looking at this wireset it's a little more spendy but I'm going to be hooking my subs and amp back up soon and I want all my electrical stuff in better than working order.
Don't waste your money- performance wires add no performance to these cars, and fail more often. Just get a standard OEM replacement and use the extra money for gas.

As far as the spark plugs go, I think I found some that fit my mind set, one of these NGK laser platinum or iridium. Says they offer outstanding acceleration and high fuel efficiency .
Either way, doesn't matter- just get an OEM replacement plug- with a platinum or iridium tip- that way it'll last 100k miles like stock. You're not going to gain any power here either- so I'd get whatever the equivalent OEM replacement is.