FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Guide: How to remove your dash (video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the video. I was checking out the instructions in the Haynes manual, but the video is worth more. I have multiple reasons to get behind the dash so your video helps a lot. A couple of questions if you please. I need to replace the instrument cluster lighting as it no longer works and my dash is very dark. Is it really just one bulb back there to replace? Also my daytime running interior lights dim all the way out at night or in cloudy weather - in other words I can't read the radio or the transmission indicator if I cover the sensor with my hand or if the ambient lighting is low (night). Is that a relay that I can get to after removing the dash? Last question - my A/C and heater blower only works in 3,4, and 5. Will I be able to get to the blower resistor after removing the A/C heater switch panel? Also need to replace the hazard switch as my turn signals are intermittent but always come back after cycling the hazard switch. Like I said I have multiple reasons to take the dash off. I have an '01 LS. Also have a '71 MC in the garage . Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Joe Don F16; 08-01-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Joe Don F16
Thanks for the video. I was checking out the instructions in the Haynes manual, but the video is worth more. I have multiple reasons to get behind the dash so your video helps a lot. A couple of questions if you please. I need to replace the instrument cluster lighting as it no longer works and my dash is very dark. Is it really just one bulb back there to replace? Also my daytime running interior lights dim all the way out at night or in cloudy weather - in other words I can't read the radio or the transmission indicator if I cover the sensor with my hand or if the ambient lighting is low (night). Is that a relay that I can get to after removing the dash? Last question - my A/C and heater blower only works in 3,4, and 5. Will I be able to get to the blower resistor after removing the A/C heater switch panel? Also need to replace the hazard switch as my turn signals are intermittent but always come back after cycling the hazard switch. Like I said I have multiple reasons to take the dash off. I have an '01 LS. Also have a '71 MC in the garage . Thanks for your time.
The lights in the gauges and HVAC are all little LED lights, so they will all need to be replaced.

BBengineer.com does this at a good price, or if you're good at soldering.

As for the dimming lights, I would make sure that the sensor on the top of the dash is clean, otherwise it may have gone bad.

You may have an issue with the HVAC panel itself, you may want to look into replacing it and if that doesn't fix it there could be a larger problem.

The relay for that should be under the hood though.

Anything else, just post

Old 12-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Replaced the hazard switch and the headlight switch. Replacing the headlight switch fixed the night lighting problem. The copper prong on the back of the switch that controls the dimming function was burned up. With your video to guide me I had the switches swapped out in less than 15 minutes. Thanks again. Turns out the LED lights weren't burned out. The switch failed to full dim/off when it burned up, so when the daytime sensor lost the daylight, everything went dark in the cabin. No more night driving with the mirror light on now to see the speedometer! Hopefully it's not a wiring issue that burns this switch up, too. Now if I can find that blower motor resistor switch location under the hood, all will be fixed.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Thanks guys.

Hope this helps lots of people, it's not too hard after you do it once, it's just all about knowing what to do the first time.

Any questions feel free to post them here/pm me/message me on youtube/comment on the video.
thanks, great video....got my dash off, and need to R&R the hazard switch. Can u please help? I don"t want to break it trying to get it out.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by FLMONTESS01
thanks, great video....got my dash off, and need to R&R the hazard switch. Can u please help? I don"t want to break it trying to get it out.
There is a little push tab on the top side I believe, you just press that and it should pop out.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM

you would happen to know by chance how to remove the upper dash board ( the padded part) on 06 monte carlos? im tryin to get to my mode door to see if that s my problem because my air only comes out defroster and its none of my actuators. and i hear flap when i try tochange directions for vent

Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 AM

I know this post is old, but nice video. It gave me the confidence to tackle this dimmer switch issue this weekend. Thanks for the post.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Curtis24682007
I know this post is old, but nice video. It gave me the confidence to tackle this dimmer switch issue this weekend. Thanks for the post.
Thanks! Glad it helped you out!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 PM

Definitely using this video to install a head unit I got yesterday from an awesome member on here! How about how to remove the center console once the dash is removed?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:26 PM

I used this video to get my gauges out. Good stuff.

Quick Reply: Guide: How to remove your dash (video)