Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

ignition switch issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 05:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bblackstone
I don't mean to frustrate you. My key does not have the chip in it.plus. I can't find the link you posted.
The key does not have a chip, but the lock cylinder does. When you slide the cylinder into the ignition switch housing it should slide right into the connector. This is part of the PassLock security system. As I mentioned, you need to do a PCM security relearn. It's not per key, just so the system relearns the new chip in the new cylinder.

Bewlow is what needs done in a PCM relearn (skip to step #4, as I assume the battery has already been disconnected/reconnected and you are not changing the PCM).

Follow the steps exactly. If it does not say remove the key, do not remove the key. Cycle to the spots the steps mention (otherwise you might risk starting over).

1. Disconnect battery
2. Install new computer
3. Reconnect battery
4. Put emergency brake on to disable daytime running lights (this step is required!)
5. Make sure all doors trunk and hood are closed leave driver window down and reach in through the window
6. Try to start. If it doesn't start, leave the key in the on position for 11 min on 97-03 cars and 15 min for 04 and newer cars. The security light should turn off after this amount of time.
7. Before proceeding, verify the security light is no longer on OR that the message center is no longer flashing the security message with the other messages it's cycling (such as battery).
8. Turn off ignition for 30 seconds
9. Try and start the car. It probably won't start. Repeat steps #6-9 two more times.

Note: It should take 3 attempts, but you may want to try it 1-2 more additional times if it does not take.

Last edited by The_Maniac; 12-11-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
The key does not have a chip, but the lock cylinder does. When you slide the cylinder into the ignition switch housing it should slide right into the connector. This is part of the PassLock security system. As I mentioned, you need to do a PCM security relearn. It's not per key, just so the system relearns the new chip in the new cylinder.

Bewlow is what needs done in a PCM relearn (skip to step #4, as I assume the battery has already been disconnected/reconnected and you are not changing the PCM).

Follow the steps exactly. If it does not say remove the key, do not remove the key. Cycle to the spots the steps mention (otherwise you might risk starting over).

1. Disconnect battery
2. Install new computer
3. Reconnect battery
4. Put emergency brake on to disable daytime running lights (this step is required!)
5. Make sure all doors trunk and hood are closed leave driver window down and reach in through the window
6. Try to start. If it doesn't start, leave the key in the on position for 11 min on 97-03 cars and 15 min for 04 and newer cars. The security light should turn off after this amount of time.
7. Before proceeding, verify the security light is no longer on OR that the message center is no longer flashing the security message with the other messages it's cycling (such as battery).
9. Try and start the car. It probably won't start. Repeat step 5 two more times.

It should take 3 attempts, but you may want to try it 1-2 more additional times if it does not take.

I lift my hat to this resolve... it must be the aerobics version (I found it real funny) Let me explain:

Step 9 - Try and start the car. It probably won't start. Repeat step 5 two more times.

So run around the car and (5. Make sure all doors trunk and hood are closed leave driver window down and reach in through the window)
Then run around the car again and ( 5. Make sure all doors trunk and hood are closed leave driver window down and reach in through the window)
NOT sure here how far to reach in the window or what to do reaching into the window... maybe someone can explain!
THEN
" It should take 3 attempts, but you may want to try it 1-2 more additional times if it does not take"
So here it is telling you to do it 3- 5 more times ( So run around the car and (5. Make sure all doors trunk and hood are closed leave driver window down and reach in through the window) )

Now that you have run around the car 9-13 times it might not work because " It probably won't start"

Old 12-11-2014, 11:00 AM

10 Year Member

Say what you will of those instructions. If you don't want to do them, get a gm tech ii, plug in, program and done.

The reason there is no set number of cycles depends on the settings in the PCM. My monte takes 3 cycles of this, yet my grand am takes 1 cycle.

Since this takes so long to process that is why there are parts of the instructions that call for the ebrake, limiting use of power windows and such (prevent risk of draining the battery).

Old 12-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Say what you will of those instructions. If you don't want to do them, get a gm tech ii, plug in, program and done.

The reason there is no set number of cycles depends on the settings in the PCM. My monte takes 3 cycles of this, yet my grand am takes 1 cycle.

Since this takes so long to process that is why there are parts of the instructions that call for the ebrake, limiting use of power windows and such (prevent risk of draining the battery).

I personally found your instructions hilarious... I do also think you should attempt to EDIT/ CORRECT instead of jumping.
I was trying to help the OP and posted up a link to a possible solution which the OP had trouble retrieving. So along came a GOOD Samaritan (Space) and he assisted both the OP and myself by posting the information for all to see clearly. You took no time to read it and immediately copied and pasted some clearly un-read directions from who knows where, as if my help was/ is to be ignored. You know best... do it The_Manic way or else type of thing.

I was thinking that I should get Fast Eddie and Speedy Dave over here to make a video of your instructions happening in real life... it would either go viral or be used in part 2 of the next Dumb and Dumber movie.

Cheers

Old 12-11-2014, 08:49 PM

10 Year Member

Ill_Born_SS - I'm not here to create a problem with anyone and I don't mean for this to come across as my way or the highway (it was not my intent). Sorry if I came across stepping on your toes. Certainly no need to throw insults like the comparisons with the dumb and dumber movies.

I have personally used those directions on multiple PCM swaps and one ignition cylinder swap (since the cylinder has the passlock chip in it, you don't need to repeat this for each key, once the car starts, you are done).

I feel you are exploiting a minor fault in the author's directions I copy/pasted (it directs to step #5 instead of steps #6-9). It really is not that big of a deal. I admit, I missed the author's mistake (but when I ran through these in the past, I know I didn't need to re-run through step #5 multiple times).
As for step #5, that is part of preventing battery drain by various lights on the car being active (some people may leave interior lights active causing additional battery drain, if the battery dies in this process it's recharge and start the process over again). All this should be minor battery drain and you should still be able to complete the process, I actually had a car that had other issues and the battery died in the middle of this (had the throw the charger on and start over).
I have no problem reaching in through the window to turn the key (it really is not the circus act you make it sound like).

We're all here offering the OP information to try and resolve his problem. Hopefully he'll report back a success out of something he read here (and it's unimportant to me who posted the solution, so long as the problem was solved).

Again, I'm sorry to step on your toes.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default stop

This thread was started to get a problem resolved. Not to start a peeing contest. I fully understood the directions. I have not had time to try them out. I believe though I am at least intelligent enough not to actually run around the car checking doors and so on. Please. A little credit to my abilities to brake down instructions. If I do run around the car like Benny Hill and the car starts. I am all for it. I will try all instructions given to me on this site . Most people on this site only post with knowledge. Please no more name calling. That's not why we are members to this great site.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:09 AM
Default >Keep it respectful & Peaceful > Thank You<

`Amen, Member bBlackStone
Wish you good luck on resolving your Monte Problem.

Let us all be peaceful & not hurt with our words or acts.

That is not the purpose of the MCF. It is to do your best to help others with their Monte Carlo Problems.

Thanks to all member's that help each others.

I depart in peace > EnJoy your MCF 4-Sure

* Note, we do have a Private Messages on the MCF to communicate with other member's with your personal opinions or disagreements on threads/topic's etc. Please use this feature for that purpose...Thank You!
===============================================
Reminder `Space: Be sure 2 taste your words, b-4 U spit them out or post them.. 4-Sure.
Think b-4 U post > Words can hurt 4-Real...

Last edited by Space; 12-12-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default thanks

Thanks for all the help. I had to take her in to Chevy dealer.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:47 AM

saving so i can do it with my new key

Old 07-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

1. Disconnect battery
2. Install new computer
3. Reconnect battery
9. Try and start the car. It probably won't start. Repeat steps #6-9 two more times.

Note: It should take 3 attempts, but you may want to try it 1-2 more additional times if it does not take.

>Jason, I believe the previous posts with the Passlock/ Passlock 3 and Passlock3+ instructions link would be for gen 5 Monte's that do have a chip in the key, would they not? I didn't see any model years listed in the instructions.

BTW the re-learn instructions you posted are greatly appreciated. Although I have Tech2, I'm sure many other members that don't appreciate the effort.

Quick Reply: ignition switch issue