Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2002 SS L36 to L67 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 03:28 AM
Default "Super Sport"

I just "stole" a 98 gtp off a guy on craigslist w/ 151k on it for $600!! The trans was slipping after the car would warm up. Fluid looked like engine oil. Scan engine light & code p0742 came up. Dropped the pan (no chunks & very little shavings) cleaned it, new filter,7.4 quarts of valvoline dexron lll fluid, reset the light & trans shifts great in every gear. I've been driving the car everyday for the last 2 months now. With all that being said, i'm about to swap that power train in my SS Monte Carlo. I have the WHOLE CAR!!! Will the map sensor wire off that work? Also are the injector plugs the same & do i need a "boost" gauge because the gtp has one. Thanx for any help on this.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by MrSSMC02
Will the map sensor wire off that work?
Yes, that and the BBV solenoid harness.

Also are the injector plugs the same
Should be, I didn't think they changed injector plugs until later.

do i need a "boost" gauge because the gtp has one.
You definitely don't need a boost gauge. The boost gauge on the gtp is useless anyways- it's just a gimmick, a series of bars that light up but don't actually measure anything.

A boost gauge makes sense on a turbo setup since if something fails (ie wastegate, or the vacuum plumbing going to it) it is possible to over boost and destroy the engine. A supercharger can never replicate this situation since it'll never make more boost than what the current pulley size can put out.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:26 AM

? I just completed my l67 motor & trans swap in my Monte Carlo SS. Tuned Pcm from zzp. Ok the monte carlo had an internal neutral safety switch, the one from the 98 gtp has an external nss. My ? Is can I install a nss inside gtp trans with the Trans wire harness. The car won't start unless I rig it from the starter relay, and it take a lot to put it in park.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:58 PM

I'm currently going through that issue. I rewired the harness for the external switch. It was pretty easy like 30 mins tops. I haven't tested it yet because I'm still finishing up the swap.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:36 AM

Ok. I took it to a trans shop, they are charging $350 to install the nss and wire harness. I have been trying to post pictures, but I can't figure out how to do it with my phone. Do I need a laptop to post pictures?

Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I when I get on the forum with my phone I cannot post pics. Not sure if they all work that way or not.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can post pics fromy phone. "Go advance" attach thumbnail and find the pic you want to attach, then upload it

Old 07-29-2015, 07:41 PM

This is a link I used to rewire my switch. It was pretty easy.

Wiring a external PNP switch to an internal PNP transmission - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

If you need the pigtails I think I have an extra set somewhere in my garage. This way should be a lot cheaper then 350.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:59 PM
Default Swap Complete!!!

Thanks guys, but it's finished. It shifts great. Question? These are the mods so far. 3.35 pulley (press on), autolite 104s, 180° t stat, zzp tb spacer, zzp moded 1.9 rockers w/ stock springs, home made cai w/ k&n filter, zzp 1.0 tune, trans go shift kit, trans cooler (aftermarket from autozone), OBX headers 3" down pipe catless w/ 2.5 all the way back to Thrusher no resonator. Any suggestions on other quick supporting mods. I hand not yet stomped it pass 3k rpms until I get a scan gauge. Just ordered one from zzp. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-19-2016, 03:35 AM
Default 01 Monte ss 04 l67 w/ 99 hd trans swap

I'm in the middle of my swap ... Stock trans had to be swapped along with motor ( I wanted the supercharger and trans was shot ) ... Long story short ... I got a 99 gs from a friend ( was cheaper than getting a non HD trans ) my pcm has been sent out for the tune ... Engine wiring was easy ... And even going to the HD trans is easy... BUT ... I need the diagrams for the 99 HD trans with external pnp ... And the internal for my 01 monte ... The link to the external pnp conversion on this page is for Bonneville and GTP, which have different color wires than my 01 monte ... And the pigtails going to the external pnp from the 99 gs... If anyone could help it would be appreciated ... I am a mechanic ... But my first go around with these motors and trans ... I can do it But I know what could happen if done wrong ... And I can't afford that

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): 2002 SS L36 to L67 Swap