Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Wheel Spacers? Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Wheel Spacers? Yes or No?

Good morning everyone... I run 16" factory rims on my 2002 SS and was wondering if I could insert 7/16" spacers in order to bring the rear rims out closer to the lip in order to make the wheel well look fuller and achieve more of a muscle car stance... Is this safe to do?... (my tires are 245/R16/50)... Thanks,

Old 02-03-2011, 10:27 AM

Hi Crusader, I just don't know 4-Sure
Hopefully the below link may give you some information that may help until one of our expert/experienced member's makes a post to answer your question...Good Luck

How to Use Wheel Spacers | eHow.com

Wheel spacers are helpful for several different reasons and situations. Wheel spacers are used in many different applications, such as performance racing, ...
www.ehow.com › CarsCar Wheels & TiresWheel Spacers - Cached - Similar

Old 02-03-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by KidSpace
Hi Crusader, I just don't know 4-Sure
Hopefully the below link may give you some information that may help until one of our expert/experienced member's makes a post to answer your question...Good Luck

How to Use Wheel Spacers | eHow.com

Wheel spacers are helpful for several different reasons and situations. Wheel spacers are used in many different applications, such as performance racing, ...
www.ehow.com › CarsCar Wheels & TiresWheel Spacers - Cached - Similar
Thanks, much appreciated...

Old 02-03-2011, 01:06 PM

i personally try and avoid wheel spacers i would just run a wheel with less back spacing. theres nothing wrong with running them as long as your studs are long enough.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i personally try and avoid wheel spacers i would just run a wheel with less back spacing. theres nothing wrong with running them as long as your studs are long enough.
Just so I understand... It would be ok as long as the wheel studs are long enough?...... Thanks,...

Old 02-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
Just so I understand... It would be ok as long as the wheel studs are long enough?...... Thanks,...
theres nothing wrong with them, if the studs are long enough you could be asking for trouble though, what spacers are you getting, just little aluminum insert ones? or like actual legit spacers?

Old 02-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
theres nothing wrong with them, if the studs are long enough you could be asking for trouble though, what spacers are you getting, just little aluminum insert ones? or like actual legit spacers?
I am looking at the ones Performance Improvements carry... They are 7/16" thick and made of aluminium... They just locate on the studs... I also saw some heavy duty ones, but thay were 1" thick with special hardware...... Thanks,

Old 02-03-2011, 04:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Anything more than 5/16" isnt necessary. Thats what I have and the wheel is very flush with the wheel lip. The bulge of the sidewall sticks out ever so slightly past the wheel lip. I would run 5/16" I havent had any problem with mine. You will need longer wheel studs tho.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

I'd avoid wheel spacers just run a wheel with less back spacing ,you'll put more pressure on your rear hubs w/ spacers.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have run aluminumn wheel spacers on mine as I put on wider tires on my factory rims giving me a more bulging sidewall and bigger foot print for additional traction and they are holding up just fine. And believe me I run the car pretty hard out on the track and autocross course's and all the wheels are still on the car.....

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers? Yes or No?