Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

What is the right tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Default What is the right tire pressure?

Hi guys!

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this but here goes. I've got Goodyear Eagle RS-A's on my 2001 Monte Carlo SS. What is the correct tire pressure for those? Yes I know that you shouldn't go based on what it says on the tire since that's just supposed to be the max psi. And I know they say you should go by what it says on the placard on the door jam but, beleive it or not, while there is a placard on my car, no where does it mention what the tire pressure should be. I even checked my owner's manual to no avail. Help!

Thanks,

Eric

Old 12-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Default RE: What is the right tire pressure?

[align=center]Hi Eric,[/align][align=center]In my 05LT & 06LT3 I put 32psi in my tires.[/align][align=center]I am sure our members will post what they are doing ?[/align][align=center]Are your tires 16 0r 17 inch ?[/align][align=center]Look on the tire. It will be printed on the rubber right where it meets the rim. You can also look in the drivers door panel<~it should be there or it was removed due to body work or ?; (. That will give you recommended tire pressure also. Never exceed the recommended tire pressure that is on the tire. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]If no one posts, just call your Chevy dealer, or a tire shop.[/align][align=center]I don`t think they will charge you : ) lol[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I check my tire pressure & tires every week.[/align][align=center](it`s the only thing that touches the pavement: )[/align][align=center]Be Safe[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Happy Holildays, from `Space[/align]

Old 12-12-2008, 11:20 AM

Tire Tech - Tire Specs Explained
These values can also be found in the industry's tire load & inflation charts. NOTE: P-metric and Euro-metric sized tires' "maximum load" inflation pressure ...
www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp - 48k - Similar pages
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp
Basic Tire Information
If you are not sure what to put in for tire pressure the vehicle manufacturer's ... if you have the correct tires and what the tire pressures should be. ...
www.securitydriver.com/aic/stories/article-116.h... - 31k - Similar pages
http://www.securitydriver.com/aic/st...ticle-116.html
The Correct Pressure
Correct air pressure affects safety, comfort The tyres' ability to absorb shocks and isolate the rider from excessive vibration ...
two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?code... - 23k - Similar pages

Old 12-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I usually run 33 psi per tire.

30-33 seems to be the okay range, 30 would give a little better grip, but 33 gives better mpg.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I run 28.5 lbs in all 4 tires. Any more and I wear out the centers of the tires. Did it in my '01, also. Even this is too much. Probably going to drop a pound this spring.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

It is posted on the trunk lid. open the trunk on the inside. when I had my factory wheels I kept it about 30 and with my new wheels I keep it at about 31

Old 12-13-2008, 03:38 PM

wow...i run 35 in my tires on stock 17 inch rims, i guess im on the high side lol

rocknss, what size are your tires to runthat low of pressure??? thats what i run when i go to the track

Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 PM

I have the factory 235-55-17s on now, and the Michelin Pilots that came off were wore out in the centers of all 4 tires. The 235-50-18s on Eagle Alloy 077s are BFG GForce KDWS,and the same thing applies to them. I have a nice 2" dial pressure gauge, and check it against several other gauges for accuracy. They seem low, but that's where they wear the best, and at the price of tires, that's what's important.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:19 AM

i know what you mean about the price of tires, the ones on my car now are the tires that the used car dealer put on....they are gillette lol never even heard of them, but they suck so bad...no grip, hydroplane very easily, squal around corners, i am going to use them to get through this winter and the snow, then they are gonna get burned down and replaced.....i just cant decide between michiline pilots or bridgestone potenzas

Old 12-14-2008, 04:14 PM

I just replaced the Michelin Pilot A/S tires with Goodyear Ultra Grip winter tires. The Pilots were THE worst wearing, and THE most expensive tires I've ever hated! $900, and squat for miles. They were junk after basically 1 winter. I'm hoping these Goodyears will get 2 winters. Try the Potenzas, or Goodyear Triple Treds, if you want a good A/S tire.

Quick Reply: What is the right tire pressure?