Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

what kind of rims??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Default what kind of rims??

i am looking for some oem size rims ( so that i don't have to buy new tires since i just got new ones ) i want a cooler look than just plain jane stock. I like black rims. but just tell me what would look good on a Red 1996 Monte Carlo LS.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

You should tell yourself what looks good and look for opinions later. It's your car, you'll see a set and fall in love just like woman and engagement rings. lol

Old 08-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you should check out the paint your own rims tutorial that someone did on here, black rims with the red stripe around the outside, it looked awesome, ill look for it

Old 08-28-2009, 08:30 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Like Mike said - tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

i cant find the link, does anyone else know what im talking about? someone did theirs with spray paint and it looked awesome

Old 08-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

vita did it, and yes they do look sweet!! here you go

vita

Repainting Wheels
I found a video while doing a project to my car that shows VERY well how to repaint
Step One:

Get a mask and put it on with some old clothes. There is going to be a lot of fine particles roaming around in the air while you sand. I didnt wear one at first... after 15 minutes I started coughing up some black/grey stuff.... i put this over my mouth. Anything is better than putting this in your lungs. trust me... i know. haha

Step Two:

Get ahold of a few tools.

You'll need:
Water and a rag - I used it to help wash away the places ive already sanded, plus I could drink out of the bottle. It takes a while, your probably going to start getting dehydrated.
Sand Paper - I used automotive 120 grit sandpaper. Very coarse, but not bad enough where it would destroy the rims. Anything too fine and youll be scrubbing all night.
Hammer and flat head screwdriver - to get the balancing weights off the rims (a needle nose pliers can work too!)

Step Three:
Put up a rim and start sanding! Heres what mine looked like before I started sanding....

Step Four:
Your going to come to the weights. Just put the flathead under, give it some good taps and pry the weight up. its soft metal, you might scratch your rim up a little, just dont hit DOWN too hard on the rim to dig into it and make it unfixable. you can also use a needle nose pliers to get ahold of it and bend it up.

Step Five:
when finished with the front.... flip it over! your only half way done on your first rim...

heres what they look like sanded!

Quick note... dont feel you need to get 100% of all the paint off... if it will stick on the rim it will keep sticking to the rim. the point is to get all the extra off and anything that might loosen up later on. its easier to get paint to stick to paint, than paint to metal.

Step Six: Tape off the tire stem and Prime the wheel. Wipe it down with some water first to make sure nothing is going to get between the primer and metal, then use a primer thats safe to use on aluminum and other metal products. it doesnt need to be "wheel" primer, just one safe on the rims. Its better to do 2 light coats than one heavy coat. if it runs, sand the area, re-wipe it down and put another layer of primer. if it looks like crap now, paint wont help.

Step 7: I did a lip around mine, so I did the base color now (red) that the lip will be. Spray again, in 2 light coats where the bottom layer colors need to be. i used Engine enamel since I want my wheels to be gloss black. If you can, use a paint that is HIGH durability and is resistant to cracking, chips and paint. Ive heard appliance paint works well too.

after spraying one wheel (red)

Step Eight: then, do the taping over the area you want the base color. again, if you want a solid wheel color, dont worry about this step. I used 3m detailers tape to mark the area. GO SLOW and make sure it looks smooth.

Step Nine: then, spray the rest of the wheel with the color of choice. I used again, gloss black to bring out the colors on my car. this is very important *when you spray the paint, how it looks after you spray it is how it will look when it dries. make sure its EVEN and does not start to drip. GO SLOW! GO SLOW! GO SLOW!* it makes the rims come out looking more even. I used 5 cans of black enamel for 4 rims.

You could then apply a clear coat, although I have not yet. Im going to have that professionally sprayed, since I want that to be 100% correct with no problems. Itll keep the paint and the weather on good behavior!

Heres what the tape on the valve will look like when your painting: (you dont want that on the rubber...)

and... the final product!

now do it 3 more times....

Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Very nice work!!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:51 PM

these area all cool ideas. but i am still looking for some suggestions. i just don't know what is gonna look good on my car.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Well, like the others said, find some that you like, then post some pics for some opinions. Just be sure to check the weight and offset of the wheels while doing your research.

Heavy and wrong offset wheels rapidly deteriorate your suspension components, causing your car to handle badly. And, it's not like it handles that great to start with. At least compared to my last car....RX 8!

Quick Reply: what kind of rims??