Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   What is best way to reduce wheel well? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/what-best-way-reduce-wheel-well-47293/)

Dale_Jr_123 02-11-2014 09:39 AM

i just went to my local speed shop, they said 200 for the springs, and then 95 each for struts which i didn't think was bad, their KG Springs and struts? Anyone no anything good about them? BUT then he wanted 400 to put them on and align it does that seem high?

red04montels 02-11-2014 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dale_Jr_123 (Post 596355)
i just went to my local speed shop, they said 200 for the springs, and then 95 each for struts which i didn't think was bad, their KG Springs and struts? Anyone no anything good about them? BUT then he wanted 400 to put them on and align it does that seem high?

That's about right, he's charging about an hour a corner to get it done. Average shop hourly rate is about $80 an hour, plus $80 alignment isn't all that horrible.

I would shop around still.

ChibiBlackSheep 02-11-2014 10:16 AM

Based on those rates, you could purchase the DIY kit that I linked to, put them on yourself, and then get an alignment for cheaper.

AR15Mike 02-11-2014 01:12 PM

If you go the DIY route, you can get the anti pogo washers from GM. The part number for them is 10203412. My local dealership had 3 in stock :confused:
I'd also replace the strut mounts if you're doing the work yourself. It seems like every time I've tried to save a few dollars by not replacing the mounts, I've been burnt.:nono:
Also, after you've changed the angle of your driveline by lowering your car, you'll more than likely need to address a driveline vibration. Shorter dog bone upper engine mounts cured the vibration I got after lowering my car. They also caused both my 3 inch and 2.5 inch downpipes to make contact with the lower firewall/floorboard of my car under load in reverse. I used http:// http://shop.zzperformance.co...t-Spacers.aspx with my stock upper engine mounts to cure my driveline vibration and stop the downpipe from making contact with my floor pan. If you're handy, I don't see why you couldn't make your own spacers. I already had an order with ZZP, adding them to it didn't change the shipping cost, and $20 seemed fair to me. :thumbsup:

l67ss 02-11-2014 01:30 PM

Look at my sig

Originally Posted by red04montels (Post 596339)
Your 5th gen? I would like to see it dropped the apparent 5".

Stock struts are not meant for springs that ride lower, anything over 10k miles on stock struts is getting lucky.

Dale_Jr_123 02-11-2014 05:32 PM

I decided I'm going to go ahead and pay the 800-900 to get it done right, I was thinking of 1.5 in the front and 1 inch on the Back? Will that make me bottom out everywhere that's my biggest fear is trashing my car by bottoming out on everything speed bump or so. Also how will it look sitting you think? I have a Dale Jr 04 will it look nice? Thing is in good condition and only has 74k (I put 25k on it I'm 20 years old beach trips last summer added up of about 200 there and back, did it a lot cause of my beach house. WILL not be doing that again this year)

JuniorCar 02-11-2014 05:53 PM

If I were you I'd lower the back a little bit more than the front. I find my stock suspension sits up in the back anyways. Bringing the back down a bit more should level it and actually lift the front chin skirt just a little more, which is the most likely part to drag. I don't feel I could get away with lowering my car at all without getting into trouble. I got enough rubbage as it is.

For the money your looking at spending, larger wheels might be a better solution to fill wheel wells. Lowering a car does present all sorts of new issues to deal with (like the dog bones AR15Mike mentioned)

Dale_Jr_123 02-11-2014 06:19 PM

So wait if I lowery car I actually have the problem of my drivetrain, exhaust, and everything that will need fixed?

JuniorCar 02-11-2014 07:15 PM

Yes, some things more than others. Exhaust is a great example. Aside from potentially dragging, when you rock that engine forward to line up the drivetrain with shorter dogbones, you may stretch the flexpipe and prematurely wear that out. That's a pretty far reach tho. Lots of things will wear differently. Larger wheels will likely be harder on brakes too.

Welcome to the world of modding. It is seldom science and frequently trial and error...

06mistreSS 02-11-2014 08:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dale_Jr_123 (Post 596407)
I was thinking of 1.5 in the front and 1 inch on the Back? Will that make me bottom out everywhere that's my biggest fear is trashing my car by bottoming out on everything speed bump or so. Also how will it look sitting you think? I have a Dale Jr 04 will it look nice?

You will be fine. I understand your concerns but you're over stressing yourself. My 06 is dropped closer to 2" and I have absolutely no issues rubbing, dragging, bottoming out, etc. I also lowered my previous Monte Carlo (03 SS) and that was dropped 1.3" (front) and 1.0" (rear), so basically the drop specs you mentioned. Also, I have NOT installed camber bolts or shorter dog bones on either car and honestly have been just fine. A 1-2" drop isn't really enough to warrant the use of them. Anti-pogo washers are an enhancer (change the stock floating design to a solid so the strut better dampens spring movement) and more personal preference if anything.

To give you an idea of looks, here's a shot of my 03 lowered.

Attachment 28526

And my 06 lowered.

Attachment 28527