Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Vibration/Shaking up front.. No longer tolerable

Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member
Default Vibration/Shaking up front.. No longer tolerable

So, I've had a slight shutter/vibration coming from up front for the past few months. I barely ever drive the car at highway speeds so it was rarely noticed with my in town driving. However, I just made a trip to Wisconsin yesterday and the vibration has become way worse. There was almost nothing prior to leaving Ames but it continued to get worse throughout the trip. About half way it went away but came back for the last ~100 miles. The vibration is only present from about 35 mph+, it gets worse if turning to the right. If I'm cruising along at 60-70 mph and let off, it's totally gone. I get back on the throttle even just slightly and a major vibration comes back.

This issue was very minor a few months ago and my GF's dad helped me change out the front drivers side bearing. He had this idea that since it got worse while turning right, maybe the weight shifting to the left was making the vibration worse, thus leading him to change the drivers only. (He used to be a mechanic before going to school for engineering so I assumed he had a good idea of what he was talking about) BUT, we pulled both bearings and the passengers side spun freely and the drivers side was a little stiff. I'm kind of thinking maybe we should have put a new one on the passengers side as well?

Any other clues what it may be, engine mount, trans mount, struts, etc.? I'm not for sure. The boots look perfectly fine on the joints but I'm not ruling it out. The issue just seems odd that its only present under load, but once I let off, it's gone and the car coasts smooth like nothing's wrong. I've lived with this minor vibration for a little while but it's just gotten so bad I don't exactly feel comfortable driving lol.. Shakes so much it's like a wheels about to fall off

Please Help, any advice would be much appreciated. Thinking I might just start replacing everything.. Struts were already planned but new bushings, bearings might as well go too, I just don't want to spend too much on parts that don't need replaced right now.

Thanks for your patience if you actually read all of that

Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I read all of it

Don't have a clue as to what it could be though, I would check all mounts and bushings Hopefully you get it fixed

Old 08-10-2012, 01:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

hmm! sounds like a wheel bearing!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 AM

Maybe your half shafts (axle)?

Old 08-10-2012, 05:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DE02Carlo
Maybe your half shafts (axle)?
I was leaning towards this too

Old 08-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check your tie rods, axles, and the wheel bearing you didn't replace. A good way to see if it's bad - jack the car up and grab the rim at 12 and 6, or 9 and 3, and wiggle it. If it wiggles, you got a bad bearing.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Id think its an axel

Old 08-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Id think its an axel
I will 2nd that !!!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

No play in the wheels. All bushings look okay, going to replace them anyways.

Thanks for all the info though. New axles sound like the best solution. Its only present when under load and goes away while coasting. II shouldn't say goes away completely but barely noticeable)

Any advice on the best replacement? I think the remans from O'riellys come with a 3 year warranty? I see rockauto has a few options? Only sell delco for the left side though and I believe my issue to be coming from the right..

Good time to up to an HD shaft/dif/etc.? or stick with the non hd? The car truly doesn't see much abuse. Of course I'd like to take it to a track sometime but I rarely get on it so I don't see any real issue with replacing with non HD. I drive it once or twice a week to class/work, occasionally to Wisconsin a few times a year, the rest of the time it sits in my garage lol.

HD kit from zzp is about $450. Seem resonable? ----> http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...grade-Kit.aspx

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 08-10-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:08 PM

I had similar on my 04 Intimidator. This past weekend began replacing item. We replaced all four struts for AGX with SSC springs as well as the tranny and motor mount, and installed shortened dog bones. It is way better now in regards to vibration in the nose. Used to do the same, be on the interstate around 60-70, and if you gave it throttle, you'd swear it was gonna rattle apart. I still can feel some vibration, but nothing near wha t I had. Still have to swap in the new half shafts or wheele bearings.

Sorry for a pretty long winded response.

Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration/Shaking up front.. No longer tolerable