Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Vibration or Bounce

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Default Vibration or Bounce

Hopefully some of you have some exerience with what my car's symptoms are and can help me out. My 03 SS has a vibration or shake, feels almost like driving on a rough or washboard road. It feels like a shake or a bounce, not a wobble. I've got new struts, pads and rotors, wheels and tires. It started before I put all the new stuff on, so I don't figure these things are the cause or the cure. What speed I'm driving does not matter. Shifting into neutral does not make it go away either. Would front wheel bearings cause the rough ride?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 AM

Sorry to read that you are having a problem with your Monte How many miles on your Monte ?

Check out the below SuperSuper link created by Moderator `Mike
on common problems on your generation Monte..
======================================
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...lutions-30154/
click on above ^^^ above link
I hope it helps.
Please check back later to see `if any of our member's have any suggestions/solutions to your problem...Good Luck

Old 10-14-2011, 07:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think worn hubs are going to create a bounce, but I guess anything is possible. Since new struts/wheels/tires didn't cure it and it does it at all speeds I'm thinking you might have a bent drive axle.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:18 AM

Just under 44K miles. Also, no noises noticed such as grinding, popping, etc.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:28 AM

WoW, that's low miles 4-Sure...
Did you check your rim's for any bends, or are your tires cup'in or wearing uneven ?

Keep checking back on your thread to see what our expert/experienced Member's contribute...Good Luck

Old 10-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Man im having the same exact problem. small vibrations and bouncing. its driving me crazy. have you tried changing the ball bearings? or any bearings that we have...i have the 02 ss.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 PM

Did it change at all when you got the new tires? Shake at different speeds?
Is the shake different when you are on the gas?

Could be front wheel bearings, but it could just be the wheel balance. Did you have the shop that installed the tires check the balance. They often don't balance them right the first time..

Old 10-19-2011, 05:34 AM

It didn't seem to change with the tires, but I am going back to the shop later this week to double check the balance. Speed doesn't make a difference, although it is more noticeable at some speeds. The past couple of days there seems to be times when the car acts as it is supposed to and I have a nice smooth ride, and then 10 minutes later I notice the vibration again. Letting off the gas or shifting into neutral has no effect.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 PM

are you're wheels balanced? did you rotate you're tires recently? if you drove 3/4 of you're tire life then decided to do a roation it will cause heavy shaking/vibration! also you're rotors may be wrapped, inspect thier integrity and if they're pefectly flat that can cause shaking espically when breaking. and finally bad bearings do not give a vibration when they go bad, they do make a loud pining/ticking noise but no vibration.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:53 AM

sunniss, When you have it in the shop have then check your Axle half shalfs check the CV joints (common) they could also just be out of balance(not common) and bearings. Both could also cause vibration.

Habbibie ,
Yes bad bearings WILL give a vibration when they go bad, but not all the time. Early stages they can just bind up and make noise.. Then they will loosen up and vibrate for sure..

Check out this video, do you think a wheel with this much movement wouldn't vibrate?
How Do I Tell If I Have a Bad Front Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly? 1AAuto.com - YouTube

However when driving you will notice a difference when on/off the gas and in an out of gear.

Quick Reply: Vibration or Bounce