Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Traction Control off??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010
Default Traction Control off??

Ok besides the trac off button.... which doesnt completely turn it off, is there a way to turn it off completely so you can really let the rubber eat!?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It turns it off enough to completely destroy tires. How much more do you want to destroy tires? The rims, too??? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Silverbullit, what do you do on a burnout at the strip? I've seen your burnouts. They look like mine. All smoke.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yea Id like to turn mine off too. Like forever, I hate forgetting to turn it off, and my car being a psycho, ones the TC light comes on the brakes apply HARD and shoots the car toward the ditch. Its terrible when im spinning on ice, and with the button off it does that, and im doing 30.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Photobucket

Mine does not turn off completely and once the tires start to spin.... the engine stops putting power to the wheels until it regains traction and its really annoying! I just want to be able to spin em and make that "magical smoke" lol

Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 AM

I dunno for sure I guess, but whenever I shut off traction control with the button, I can roast my tires as long as I'd want to. Seems to be "completely" shut off for me.

Do you have any engine mods thumpin? I kinda suspect that with your heavy rims and probably stickier tires, you simply don't have the power to keep them spinning so it might seem like your traction control isn't turning off. Just a thought...

Old 12-14-2009, 08:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your engine could be KNOCKING at an extreme amount and that's going to kill the power to your wheels BIG TIME. If you tune the car you can change some points, but if you really want a nice burnout don't forget the e-brake... and a new transmission.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM

"Traction contro"l has two functions in your PCM- function one applies the brakes to keep the tires from spinning, while function two removes ignition timing.

Turning traction control off via the button only disables function one- your PCM will still pull timing while your spinning. When your wheel speed sensor (in your wheel hub) detects tire spin, your PCM pulls timing.

On other Wbodies, you're able to defeat this by removing the ABS fuse. This doesn't work on Monte Carlos, because the ABS fuse is also the PCM fuse! The only way I've been able to totally remove traction control is by unplugging one of my wheel speed sensors- this disables traction control (and ABS) completely. If you like ABS, you don't want to drive around on the street like this.

Two things:
1. Doing monster burnouts is dangerous, especially on non-HD 4T65Es. Our differential is very weak, and big burnouts are a sure-fire way to frag them.

2. Disabling traction control completely is a important during drag racing. Even a small amount of tire chirp is enough to get the PCM to pull timing, and the decay rate is pretty slow. I've seen ~.4-.5 difference in ET at the track with the traction control system totally disabled vs turned off via the button on the console.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Photobucket

Lol thats all I need to hear.... I have heard the wheel speed sensor disables it but I think I will just hold off and keep it a show car until the turbo goes in! Thanks

DBL: I have some done some such as, bigger injectors.... wire and plugs + coil packs, and a CO2 injection kit, CAI..... and thats it until the turbo goes in and exhaust is done!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:59 PM

CO2 injection?

Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Photobucket

Like nitrous but a lot safer.... I made my own kit and doing 45-50 i flipped it on and the tires let loose a bit. def worth the time!

Quick Reply: Traction Control off??