Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

TPMS required by law?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Default TPMS required by law?

Those of us that have GM's TPMS system on our Montes all know what a pain in the *** it is, but have you ever been told that it's "required by law" to be functional on your car? The reason I'm asking is that I contacted a tire retailer the other day to get some price quotes on tires, and we started talking about the TPMS and I told him I've had a longstanding problem with one of the sensors on my car and at this point I don't care to put the stupid things in a new set of tires. The guy at the tire shop tells me then that he can't disable the system or not put the sensors in the tires because it is required by law for cars that have the TPMS system that they all be working. WTF? I was so irritated that I didn't think to ask him who created this supposed law - Federal or State - but if this is true the government really is getting a bit too intrusive in our lives, I think. What possible difference does it make whether I have a stupid readout on my dash telling me my tire pressure or I just do it the old fashioned way and check it manually with a tire gauge? Ugh!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's not required by law, it's a luxury to have to know if you have a low tire.

Sounds like someone just trying to get money because TPMS isn't exactly cheap.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I could see the government trying to tell tire companies that they can't disable the system if the car has it stock. Making sure tire pressures are proper is better for gas mileage and emissions BS.

I would just tell them that they could please do that for you, if not go to another place.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Thank you for bringing this up. I asked Lew, but he didn't know...

How can you disable this system? Even time I start my car I get told to "Service Tire Pressure Monitor System" from my DIC and I have to hit a button to remove the message. Is there ANY way to turn this off? I have the sensors in both sets of my wheels and have had tire shops try to reprogram them for me with out success. I just want this feature gone. Any help!?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Thank you for bringing this up. I asked Lew, but he didn't know...

How can you disable this system? Even time I start my car I get told to "Service Tire Pressure Monitor System" from my DIC and I have to hit a button to remove the message. Is there ANY way to turn this off? I have the sensors in both sets of my wheels and have had tire shops try to reprogram them for me with out success. I just want this feature gone. Any help!?
I don't know if it can be disabled, but it would be nice if could. Better that they never put the stupid system into cars in the first place, but the trend seems to be that all new cars are coming with it, not just GM cars.

I know there's a small box under the hood that has to do with the TPMS, but I suppose if you disconnected it there you'd still get the message on the DIC. Is there a separate fuse that could be pulled for the TPMS?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Photobucket

Originally Posted by myfirstbowtie
Is there a separate fuse that could be pulled for the TPMS?
That's what I've been wondering. I guess I could take a look tonight when I get home from work. Is there a diagram some where online of the fuse box?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

You're not going to be able to remove the codes without a tuner to delete them from the PCM

They are not required by law, but certain tire shops won't put certain rims/tires on your vehicle if your TPMS won't work with them.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Photobucket

Well the thing about the TPMS is that isn't really throwing a code per-say. It's just an annoying message and I want it gone for good.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 PM

I got a question, does my 01' SS have TPMS?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

It does, but it works a different way. It goes by rotations, same as your Traction Control

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS required by law?