Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   TPMS required by law? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/tpms-required-law-27956/)

myfirstbowtie 05-05-2011 09:30 AM

TPMS required by law?

Those of us that have GM's TPMS system on our Montes all know what a pain in the ass it is, but have you ever been told that it's "required by law" to be functional on your car? The reason I'm asking is that I contacted a tire retailer the other day to get some price quotes on tires, and we started talking about the TPMS and I told him I've had a longstanding problem with one of the sensors on my car and at this point I don't care to put the stupid things in a new set of tires. The guy at the tire shop tells me then that he can't disable the system or not put the sensors in the tires because it is required by law for cars that have the TPMS system that they all be working. WTF? I was so irritated that I didn't think to ask him who created this supposed law - Federal or State - but if this is true the government really is getting a bit too intrusive in our lives, I think. What possible difference does it make whether I have a stupid readout on my dash telling me my tire pressure or I just do it the old fashioned way and check it manually with a tire gauge? Ugh!

red04montels 05-05-2011 09:46 AM

It's not required by law, it's a luxury to have to know if you have a low tire.

Sounds like someone just trying to get money because TPMS isn't exactly cheap.

ChibiBlackSheep 05-05-2011 09:50 AM

I could see the government trying to tell tire companies that they can't disable the system if the car has it stock. Making sure tire pressures are proper is better for gas mileage and emissions BS.

I would just tell them that they could please do that for you, if not go to another place.

RickAKATed10 05-05-2011 10:11 AM

Thank you for bringing this up. I asked Lew, but he didn't know...

How can you disable this system? Even time I start my car I get told to "Service Tire Pressure Monitor System" from my DIC and I have to hit a button to remove the message. Is there ANY way to turn this off? I have the sensors in both sets of my wheels and have had tire shops try to reprogram them for me with out success. I just want this feature gone. Any help!?

myfirstbowtie 05-05-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 (Post 322064)
Thank you for bringing this up. I asked Lew, but he didn't know...

How can you disable this system? Even time I start my car I get told to "Service Tire Pressure Monitor System" from my DIC and I have to hit a button to remove the message. Is there ANY way to turn this off? I have the sensors in both sets of my wheels and have had tire shops try to reprogram them for me with out success. I just want this feature gone. Any help!?

I don't know if it can be disabled, but it would be nice if could. Better that they never put the stupid system into cars in the first place, but the trend seems to be that all new cars are coming with it, not just GM cars.

I know there's a small box under the hood that has to do with the TPMS, but I suppose if you disconnected it there you'd still get the message on the DIC. Is there a separate fuse that could be pulled for the TPMS?

RickAKATed10 05-05-2011 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by myfirstbowtie (Post 322072)
Is there a separate fuse that could be pulled for the TPMS?

That's what I've been wondering. I guess I could take a look tonight when I get home from work. Is there a diagram some where online of the fuse box?

nitehawkjcb 05-05-2011 11:44 AM

You're not going to be able to remove the codes without a tuner to delete them from the PCM

They are not required by law, but certain tire shops won't put certain rims/tires on your vehicle if your TPMS won't work with them.

RickAKATed10 05-05-2011 12:31 PM

Well the thing about the TPMS is that isn't really throwing a code per-say. It's just an annoying message and I want it gone for good.

jwjones 05-05-2011 12:44 PM

I got a question, does my 01' SS have TPMS?

ChibiBlackSheep 05-05-2011 02:20 PM

It does, but it works a different way. It goes by rotations, same as your Traction Control

Enzo354 05-05-2011 04:23 PM

Do you have inspection? The shop is probably worried that you might not pass and then blame it on them if you have a code.

bbengineer 05-05-2011 08:51 PM

Actually, starting Jan 1, 2007, Federal Law requires TPMS on all new cars and makes it illegal to disable it...

Do a little searching and you'll find tons of info on it... here's one such link
Automobile

BBEngineer

myfirstbowtie 05-05-2011 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354 (Post 322135)
Do you have inspection? The shop is probably worried that you might not pass and then blame it on them if you have a code.

You know, actually my car passed inspection last October with one of my tire sensors not working.

Originally Posted by bbengineer (Post 322258)
Actually, starting Jan 1, 2007, Federal Law requires TPMS on all new cars and makes it illegal to disable it...

Do a little searching and you'll find tons of info on it... here's one such link
Automobile

BBEngineer

Why am I not surprised that this would be the kind of thing that our wonderful (sarcasm) Federal government would come up with? Seriously, don't the bureaucrats in Washington have anything better to do than to constantly come up with new ways to regulate every aspect of our lives? The US government really pisses me off.

Speaking of which, did you all hear the latest fantastic idea to come from Washington? I heard on the radio tonight that Obama wants to impose a tax on us based on how many miles we drive. Between the high price of gas and this new tax (if it gets enacted), we won't be able to take our Montes out anywhere anymore!

nitehawkjcb 05-06-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 (Post 322097)
Well the thing about the TPMS is that isn't really throwing a code per-say. It's just an annoying message and I want it gone for good.

Is it a light or one of those new display pieces (says door ajar and whatnot)?

If it's just a light, burn the bulb out

Or disable it in the PCM

jwjones, you don't have a TPMS, I'm pretty sure. If you've ever had a tire run low and no light came on to warn you, you don't have it.

RickAKATed10 05-06-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb (Post 322391)
Is it a light or one of those new display pieces (says door ajar and whatnot)?

If it's just a light, burn the bulb out

Or disable it in the PCM

jwjones, you don't have a TPMS, I'm pretty sure. If you've ever had a tire run low and no light came on to warn you, you don't have it.

It's a message that displays in the DIC every time I start my car. F'ing annoying. :mad:

TaylorMutts 05-12-2011 03:47 PM

The following questions and answers are direct from a GM technical bulletin:

Q: What is a Tire Pressure Monitoring System?

A: The TPM system consists of four sensors (one in each wheel), which transmit wireless (RF) signals to a vehicle receiver (typically, the same receiver that performs the keyless entry function), the Low Tire telltale, and the Driver Information Center (if equipped).

Q: Do all Vehicles Have Tire Pressure Monitoring?

A: Starting with the 2008 MY, all GM vehicles sold in the United States are equipped with tire pressure monitoring, to meet the mandates of FMVSS 138. Some vehicles built prior to the 2008 model year or sold in Canada have tire pressure monitoring; check vehicle build and RPO information to be sure.

Q: Can the Tire Type and/or Placard Value be changed, if aftermarket tires or wheels are installed?

A: The Tire Type (P Metric, LT Load Range C/D/E) and the Placard Value (Front Placard and Rear Placard, individually) are stored in the receiver as calibrations and CAN be revised at a GM Dealership with a Tech 2. (The RCDLR Setup screens allow this.) Since the under-inflation threshold is calculated as a percentage of the placard; correcting the placard values when different tires are installed will bring the vehicle back into compliance.

Q: Can Tire Pressure Monitoring be turned off?

A: Tire Pressure Monitoring is now a mandated safety system in the United States and cannot knowingly be disabled by an OEM nor an aftermarket service provider (49 USC 30101).

RickAKATed10 05-12-2011 04:11 PM

Booooooooooo

Enzo354 05-12-2011 05:00 PM

Officer: License and registration please
Officer: Those are some nice wheels you have there. Is your tpm system working correctly, those dont look like factory specific tires.
Me: Ummm they're aftermarket, and I disabled the tpms.
Officer: *draws gun* GET OUT OF THE VEHICLE NOW!! *calls for backup*

For some reason I could see that happening to me^^^

RickAKATed10 05-13-2011 10:47 AM

^HA!!!

myfirstbowtie 05-15-2011 11:24 AM

So I went and got a new set of tires put on the Monte last Monday, but I told the guy at the shop that one of my tire sensors is broken and I think it's a waste of money to buy a new one. He left the bad sensor on the car, but after they put the new tires on and then went through that procedure to have the sensors learn the tire positions, instead of getting readings from the 3 sensors that were working and then dashes from the one that wasn't, now I get no readings (just dashes) from ALL of the sensors, and of course I still get the stupid "check tire pressure monitoring system" message every time I start the car.

Safety feature my ass! :(

RickAKATed10 05-19-2011 01:03 PM

Oh yeah, it's terrible in our cars. Complete waste.

monte carlo 3831 05-19-2011 01:46 PM

well here is my current issue, I recently bought new wheels/tires and new TPMS sensors and had everything installed by Tirerack. When I put the new wheels on I didn't get any readings from the sensors? I figured it would maybe have to cycle through a few times and it would be ok.... As of today, I still have the stupid -- marks reading on my DIC..... I did the tire re-learn procedure and I got nothing from that, so what should I do now? I paid $148.00 for four NEW sensors that don't seem to be working, I wonder if I could disconnect the battery for a little while and see if that works? Any suggestions out there from anyone would be great, thanks

RickAKATed10 05-19-2011 04:41 PM

If TireRack did all the work, you take it back there and tell them to fix it. Period. I don't think you can possibly do anything else.

Tadcaster 05-19-2011 06:24 PM

I had to ask the wheel dealer to move my sensors from the old stock wheels to my XXR's cause personally I like em had I not asked I could have had the new wheels w/o em. BTW I am in Michigan.

ladderman100 07-17-2012 06:02 PM

tire sensors

yes i agree they suck...but i think under nys dmv they must work for inspection....thats ny.....i have to replace one now cause i screwed it up///
bad idea....it sux gm.....must have been a women......bitch.......
like there damn 3.8 s that have the intake leak that gm knows they did this but still screww the public with the bill.......cost me 750.00 for new intake gaskets.....they all leak,,,,gm knows it but wouldnt recall it....so they screw the people.......i hope they get a class action suit on this and other crummy designs...

ladderman100 07-17-2012 06:05 PM

i forgot to ask does anyone know if the o4 montes have the stupid sensors?

03SSLE 07-17-2012 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ladderman100 (Post 478647)
yes i agree they suck...but i think under nys dmv they must work for inspection....thats ny.....i have to replace one now cause i screwed it up///
bad idea....it sux gm.....

Originally Posted by ladderman100 (Post 478649)

The TPMS requirement is a Federal mandate so all States are required to obide. It had nothing to do with any particular auto manufacturer or individual within...male or female. Various designs have been used, but I believe the system (on a Monte Carlo) that utilizes monitors mounted to the inside of the wheel began in '06.

ChibiBlackSheep 07-18-2012 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ladderman100 (Post 478649)

They are built into the wheel hub assemblies. It goes by tire rotation and when one tire is rotating at a different speed the car assumes it's because of air pressure and lets you know.