Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Tires to use at a drag strip

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Default Tires to use at a drag strip

Hey guys and girls

i just started to get into racing my monte and its a Ls stock :/ sad i know but i m going to mod it soon,i found some idea on what todo to it

but thats a different story

i was wondering what brand/type of tires i should run,right now my street tires run great i just dont want to kill them XD,also should i just change the front tires at the strip seeing as its a fwd car or all of them?

P.S. is there a why to burn out at the water pit or should i just keep on driving around it,my friend that was on a drag team tried to and it didnt work at all :/

Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

if your going to get into it, get some drag radials, they'll kill the stock tranny though. with the burnout pit it just heats up the tires to get better grip, usually a big deal in lower time running vehicles, but a big burnout is cool sometimes too hah

Old 12-21-2010, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
if your going to get into it, get some drag radials, they'll kill the stock tranny though. with the burnout pit it just heats up the tires to get better grip, usually a big deal in lower time running vehicles, but a big burnout is cool sometimes too hah
crap i dont want to burn the tranny off XD that would be bad

and btw where do you get your parts from,i have a 03 ls and its hard to find parts

Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you're stock right now, just keep the tires that you have on it for the time being. you're probably a mid to high 16 second car, and I can imagine that if you floor it there is very little to no tire spin. When you get to the level where when you floor it and you can't get any traction, that is when you need to start thinking about new tires. But I wouldn't worry about it right now if I were you.

However, if you get to the point where traction is just starting to be an issue, then you should start thinking about getting drag radials. They're a sticky road tire that does improve traction at the drag strip and are similar to all out drag slicks, but they do have tread on them. If you're still having traction issues or if you're like me and the tires still break traction at 45mph or higher then you will need drag slicks.

Drag slicks and drag radials both have oil in the tires that act like a glue and gives you better traction. The reason that you do a burn out is to warm the tires enough for the oil to come to the surface of the tire. Sometimes you have to do a good burn out to get that to work, but most professionals look for the tires to get to a certain temperature and then they're ready.

Hope that helps. If you're worried about the tranny, go to www.tripleedgeperformance.com. They're the best when it comes to these trannys.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by BocaReject
crap i dont want to burn the tranny off XD that would be bad

and btw where do you get your parts from,i have a 03 ls and its hard to find parts
there's not a whole lot of parts, you could go to zzperformance.com and milzymotorsports.com

milzy has a turbo for the ls and zzp has intakes and other stuff, but there's really not a whole lot, your best bet would be swapping a 3800 into it or a supercharged 3800

Old 12-21-2010, 12:30 PM

oh ok i was thinking a swapping with the motor goes right now it has 68,000 mile on it lol

and i run high 15s at the strip :P XD

Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BocaReject
oh ok i was thinking a swapping with the motor goes right now it has 68,000 mile on it lol

and i run high 15s at the strip :P XD
What all do you have done to your 3400? High 15's are typical of stock 3800 powered Monte's (mine ran a 15.7 when it was bone stock). What was the drag strip that you went to and do you have any videos or slips from the track of your runs?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

There's a few ways you could go. Being as you're just a FWD V6 (I know, that would be an insult coming from anyone but someone else who owns one), then you don't need to invest in a new set of rims and a drag radials yet. Especially the perfectly slick tires. If you really wanted to do something, I'd invest in a set of Nitto Street Radials. They're good for about 10-15 k, you can run them on the street, and they'll hook up great. The thing is though, when you start spinning tires, it lets the gears in teh transmission turn. When those grippy tires are hooked up, it puts so much strain on the hard parts of the transmission.

If you start getting into racing... it's just one thing after another it seems. You rarelly see a mostly stock street car have problems at the track... but those guys who have a lot of modifications... man, I've seen transmissions go, engines blow, rear ends snap... then it takes an hour to clean up their mess. And it seems like the colder it gets, the more problems you have.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:50 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Very true^^ our trannies hate grippy tires.
I say get some metal studded snow tires, mabye chains. Massive grip, yo

Old 12-22-2010, 10:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just drop some of the pressure in the front tires and up the pressure in the rear tires a little.

Unless you have boost or traction issues I wouldn't worry about wasting money on drag radials.

Quick Reply: Tires to use at a drag strip