Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   Tire recommendations. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/tire-recommendations-17512/)

70monte1 12-13-2009 08:03 PM

Yes they do. they also have a tire that is V rated and is a 60,000 mile tire. I'm considering that one.

Wayne

MAMONTE 12-14-2009 10:34 AM

Some shops will not even install a tire that is below the factory speed rating.

Personally, I would not go with a tire under the factory speed rating...

70monte1 12-14-2009 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE (Post 183467)
Some shops will not even install a tire that is below the factory speed rating.

Personally, I would not go with a tire under the factory speed rating...

Walmart and Sams are two of those places. I'm not ever going to drive the speeds that the tires that came with the car are rated for.

I decided to get the Cooper CS4 V rated tires. I'm getting them put on after work tomorrow. Most of the W rated tires are only 40,000 mile tires or less and I drive way to many miles per year to change tires every two years for what they cost. The tires that I'm getting are 60,000 mile tires so hopefully they will last close to that.

Wayne

MAMONTE 12-14-2009 08:24 PM

V rated tires are still performance tires. I believe they are good for up to 149. Which I doubt the Monte would even go that fast, so you are more than fine. I ment that I would never put an S rated tire (112) on a car that could do 130-140 MPH, even if you don't think you will ever go that fast. Plus, keep in mind, most of the higher speed rated tires are more performance oriented, and have stiffer side walls. Putting a drastically lower rated tire on your car would affect your handling in a negative way too...

But you are good to go with a V rated tire, no problem! From the reviews i've read on the Cooper CS4, you bought a great tire! :) Let us all know how you like them once they are installed.

70monte1 12-14-2009 09:02 PM

The Cooper CS4 has a lot of good reviews and there is a local tire place that carries them so I decided to buy them locally. It will be about $650 out the door. I'm also going to have them check the alignment just to make sure its good. If not, they will adjust it. Hopefully this will fix the slight shimmy it has at higher speeds. The current Pirelli tires on the front are about half worn and the rear Goodyear RSA's have only about 2/32 left on them. I'll let you guys know tomorrow how the new tires are.

Wayne

MAMONTE 12-15-2009 08:33 AM

I'm pretty sure your shimmy will go away with the new tires. Its rather common to get a slight shimmy at highway speeds when your tires or alignment is off.

70monte1 12-15-2009 08:32 PM

I got the new tires on today and the shimmy is gone. It drives very nice. I also had a four wheel alignment done. They said the alignment was pretty bad, especially in the front. I had them check the brakes and they said they all looked pretty good except the driver's side inner pad was getting a little thin but said it would go for awhile.

Wayne

leggomyeggo 12-21-2009 06:25 PM

Go ahead and check out the pirelli p6 all seasons.. I have them on my monte and they are great. They get excellent traction in rain, sleet, and snow. I picked them up for $110 a piece at my local Jack Williams.

MAMONTE 12-22-2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by leggomyeggo (Post 185067)
Go ahead and check out the pirelli p6 all seasons.. I have them on my monte and they are great. They get excellent traction in rain, sleet, and snow. I picked them up for $110 a piece at my local Jack Williams.

I can put a X2 on these tires. We had them on my grandma's minivan when she lived with us. They were good tires. My only complaint, and the only reason I would not personally use them is because they weigh a lot!

70monte1 12-22-2009 06:54 PM

So far the Coopers are doing good. I've put about 440 miles on the tires. Car rides and drives a lot better than before. The tire shop gave me a credit for the Pirelli's that were on the front since they still had about 1/2 of their tread left. No one around here carries Pirelli and I would have had to buy them online. With shipping and mounting and balancing, I would have been close to the price I paid for the Coopers. With the Coopers, I also get free rotation for the life of the tires, something I wouldn't get with the Pirelli's.

Wayne