Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Tire pressure sensors....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default Tire pressure sensors....

Can they be transfered to after-market wheels?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Default RE: Tire pressure sensors....

From what I've heard it won't work with aftermarket wheels

Old 10-23-2007, 07:07 PM

Most wheels take them now. New ones would run $300.00 tops but most can be reused, I have done it.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: wheelguy

Most wheels take them now. New ones would run $300.00 tops but most can be reused, I have done it.
Thanks.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM

My dealer had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to transfer them from the stock wheel to the GM accessory wheels. (This was on the Monte 18" wheels)

Apparently the had to order some adapter thingies which cost about $8.00 each if I remember and they were able to re-use the originals.

Speaking of tire sensors though, I just picked up a new 2007 Silverado, and again had GM accessory 20" wheels installed by the dealer, (and this is a different dealer than the one where I got my Monte)and they alsosaid they had some issuesswitching the stock 20" rims tothe 20" accessory jobs. I didn't ask exactly what the problem was, but I've now had 2 vehicles that even GM dealersdon't seem to be all that up on the tire sensor stuff. Seems to be a majorarea for lack of expertise.

To answer your question.......I don't think anyone knows for sure. If anyone does, or if anyone here works at a tire place, some accurate info would be real good since even the dealers don't know.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:31 PM

Rev, I had a sensor fail and the dealer sent the car to a "tire shop" that specialized in sensor replacement.

They didn't have the equipment to do it there.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:44 PM

I know!! It's a hell of a mess. When I had my Monte wheels switched, the car was sent out to a local tire shop, because the dealer didn't want to take a chance on scratching them. I spoke with the guy at the tire shop, and he seemed to be fairly knowledgeable because he said that all OEM's are using a different system for this "Tire Monitoring" feature, and that it was going to be a real mess, since it is now becoming mandatory on new vehicles, and none are compatible with the other.

He said it is becoming a real issue for them, and they really don't know where to get info to straighten it out. All OEM's should have got together and standardized the thing but it looks like it's way beyond that point now.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:50 PM

Not only that GPD, apparently these new sensors that actually measure tire pressure in each wheel actually hav a battery built into them, which cannot be replaced separately,which sends the signal to the computer, so it can be displayed on your dash. I was told these batteries had about a 10 year life, and then the whole damn sensor must be replaced at about $80 each.Plus the cost of breaking down the tires and installtion.

Who knows if theywill actually last that long, but it's going to be an expensive proposition when they do need replacing.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:19 PM

That is very interesting and makes sense.

I was reading on another website that there are sensors that "recharge" themselves using the spinning motion of the tires.

I don't know if it was true or just a conjecture.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 AM

Thats a new one, recharging the sensor from the energy created by the tire spinning. Sounds like something one of the "High end" OEM's would design. i.e. Mercedes / BMW and the like.

I can see a lot of used cars down the road, where the tire monitoring system doesn't work, just becauseit was too expensiveto keep it running. Kinda makes you wonder,if "Big Brother" mandates the tire monitoring system as a "Safety Item" and forces the OEM's to have one,what good are they going to be if the system is not maintained because of the costs involved down the road, and the simple fix is to just not maintain it?

Oh well, maybe technology will improve and the thing will be simplified down the road.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensors....