Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Tire Pressure Sensor questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:41 PM
1 Year Member
Default Tire Pressure Sensor questions

So I have a 2006 Monte Carlo SS and it has the tire pressure sensors. Since I live in North Carolina where the temp can go from being 30 degrees one day and 70 the next, my tire pressure sensors are always going off every other day. I'm 90% certain it's just the temperature changes causing it. Anyway, I need to get new tires here before to long and I am thinking about having nitrogen put in them, has anyone else been through this and had success with the nitrogen? and will it effect the ride of the car or anything like that?

Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you not have an air compressor?

Do you actually check the tire pressures when the sensors go off with a manual gauge to make sure they are just wrong?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Do you not have an air compressor?

Do you actually check the tire pressures when the sensors go off with a manual gauge to make sure they are just wrong?
Yea I have an air compressor, and yea I check them a few times to make sure they are right. It's not a big deal to hav to air them back up a bit, or it wouldn't be i it was a once a week kind of thing. but it becomes an inconvenience when I have to do it almost every other day lol. And I had hear about Nitrogen, I have just never used it before so I was wondering if that is better if someone has had this problem before or if it effects the ride any

Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM

15 Year Member

I just find it weird that your car is fluctuating this much. I'm very much used to cold nights and warm days, and I don't have any issues, because the sensors shouldn't complain unless 1 tire is 5 lbs different than the others.

I'm thinking it's the sensor more than the fluctuation.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I just find it weird that your car is fluctuating this much. I'm very much used to cold nights and warm days, and I don't have any issues, because the sensors shouldn't complain unless 1 tire is 5 lbs different than the others.

I'm thinking it's the sensor more than the fluctuation.
That's what I had thought as well But when i test it and compare it to what the car says and it's pretty much right on the money. I'm almost wondering if it's my tires themselves or something. Because that is normally how it is. And it is normally my rear tires that do it. When I got the car it had a set of hancook winter tires on the front and on the back it has some brand called Fierce and the tire is called the instinct ZR. which I think are all seasons. So regardless I need to tires, for one they are 2 different treads and also because I have never even heard of Fierce before. you think it may just be the tires?

Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How do you know if you have the sensors in there? When I purchased my winter wheel and tire package for my Mustang I didn't want to pay the money to put the TPS monitors in. They are only going to be on the car approx 3 months out of the year. Anyway my TPS monitor goes off occasionally in my car - I check all 4 tires and that seems to reset the monitor (at least in a Ford Mustang).

Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
How do you know if you have the sensors in there? When I purchased my winter wheel and tire package for my Mustang I didn't want to pay the money to put the TPS monitors in. They are only going to be on the car approx 3 months out of the year. Anyway my TPS monitor goes off occasionally in my car - I check all 4 tires and that seems to reset the monitor (at least in a Ford Mustang).
I believe in the Monte Carlo it has the TPS monitor built into the car. So no matter what wheel you put on it will monitor it, again as far as I know lol. I just know mine has them because when I go through all my dash stuff to look at things like oil life and things like that it tells me my PSI in all my tires

Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

It tells you the PSI of your tires through your dash display because of the TPMS sensors on every single tire.

With aftermarket rims, if you do not have the TPMS sensors installed, the light on your dash should always be on, unless it was modified in the computer.

OP: I also live in NC and rarely have to fill my tires. It sounds like you're having sealing issues on your rims, or possibly holes in your tires or valve stem.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
It tells you the PSI of your tires through your dash display because of the TPMS sensors on every single tire.

With aftermarket rims, if you do not have the TPMS sensors installed, the light on your dash should always be on, unless it was modified in the computer.

OP: I also live in NC and rarely have to fill my tires. It sounds like you're having sealing issues on your rims, or possibly holes in your tires or valve stem.
When I got the car the rims are starting to crack and what not, think that may be part of the issue?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 AM

15 Year Member

The TPMS on the 06/07 is built into the valve stem.

Looks like this:

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensor questions