Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Tighter suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Default Tighter suspension

I want to restore my car to factory feel, or possibly improve it. I'm thinking about these upgrades to get my car back to that perfect new car feel in handling.

heavy duty ball joints - http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...nts-p-274.html

New tie rods - http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...nds-p-257.html

New struts - http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=524&catid=138

Performance sway bars (front and rear) - http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=571&catid=138

New tires - Haven't decided which yet.

Does everything on the list seem okay? Should I lose anything from it? Add something to it? Thanks for the feedback!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:22 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ZZP only really sells the best. And One question? All these threads you make asking questions, have you bought/ installed any of it yet??

Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Quatermain. I just completed my rebuild for my 02 ss I was tight on money so for now I just got new struts/top plates/bushings complete new lower A arms from GM and outer tie rod ends. along with new sway bar links and bushings.nothing special just went with factory components. I took it for a spin and the front end is like new again. for your list dont forget new strut tower plates and bushings. and dont forget there is outer and inner tie rod ends but most of the time the outers go bad before the inners.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
ZZP only really sells the best. And One question? All these threads you make asking questions, have you bought/ installed any of it yet??
IMO! I thought someone might notice. No, I have not installed anything yet. I have a list assembled of all the parts I'm doing, and the order I'm doing them in. I leave for the Navy in 7 days, once in I will be earning a lot more money and I will be able to afford these modifications. So sometime next year my car will begin to evolve.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

I would say go with the poly bushings

Old 10-21-2009, 07:43 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Quatermain N/A SS
IMO! I thought someone might notice. No, I have not installed anything yet. I have a list assembled of all the parts I'm doing, and the order I'm doing them in. I leave for the Navy in 7 days, once in I will be earning a lot more money and I will be able to afford these modifications. So sometime next year my car will begin to evolve.
Ah ok, lol.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

What about new springs?

Old 10-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
What about new springs?
I've never seen springs as a stock replacement part for the 6th generation Monte, only as something you use to lower it, and I don't want to lower it. Maybe I'm not looking at everything, but that's what I thought the springs were for.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Well yes, they are, but if you're looking to tighten up the suspension that would be a good addition in achieving your goal. Maybe there are stiffer stock-height springs. I don't know.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:10 PM

No, I have not installed anything yet. I have a list assembled of all the parts I'm doing, and the order I'm doing them in
Thats a great idea; its exactly what I do with my builds- walk through the entire process all the way to whatever end goal I want to achieve. Then I research and modify my list until I get it as practical and specific as possible, then start buying. Definitely saves a lot of money doing all the planning ahead of time.

I've never seen springs as a stock replacement part for the 6th generation Monte, only as something you use to lower it, and I don't want to lower it.
You could always buy new OEM springs from GM, but they'd be pretty expensive for minimal gain. I think the reason it was mentioned is because it would also help make the car stiffer/tighter; but if you're mostly just looking to restore it to original condition, then its no big deal- your stock springs should still be fine. BTW, how much mileage does your car have to be wanting to replace ball joints and tie rod ends and such?

Quick Reply: Tighter suspension