Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Strange clunking noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
Prove it! Hehe

Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 PM

My monte makes that same clunking sound except its when I turn left. I can tell you off hand that its not the cv axle, I changed mines and it still clunked. I was thinking it was my struts and shocks but I have been going for 12 months with this sound so I guess I can keep going lol

Old 12-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes it is that one... weird that yours is black. Mine was a turquoise...

Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Mine is green...

Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

well damn, i didnt have time to do crap today
hopefully i can get to it tomorrow :p

Old 12-16-2011, 10:20 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by DRuben
My monte makes that same clunking sound except its when I turn left. I can tell you off hand that its not the cv axle, I changed mines and it still clunked. I was thinking it was my struts and shocks but I have been going for 12 months with this sound so I guess I can keep going lol
that sucks man, i'll keep this thread updated if i find the source of it

Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Ditto - but watch out for that thin wire harness in front of the booster line - it'll take some muscles to pry that line off (use a flathead screwdriver), but watch out because if you slip and hit that harness you'll easily snap the wires, they're very thin. Granted you could unplug it from the reservoir first to be safe.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:55 AM

I just replaced the sway bar in my Grand Prix because it was cracked and I had the same clunking noise. No more clunk with the new bar.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Ditto - but watch out for that thin wire harness in front of the booster line - it'll take some muscles to pry that line off (use a flathead screwdriver), but watch out because if you slip and hit that harness you'll easily snap the wires, they're very thin. Granted you could unplug it from the reservoir first to be safe.
If you do mechanical work on a regular basis having a radiator hose pick in your tool box is a good investment. They make removal of radiator hoses, heater hoses, vacuum lines and cotter pins a breeze. I bought one about 30 years ago (still have it) and it paid for itself in time saved after the first couple of uses.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:23 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Muscle you say... I have plenty of that
But yea I was going to unplug it anyways, I'm always careful to not to break anything

Originally Posted by LW57912
I just replaced the sway bar in my Grand Prix because it was cracked and I had the same clunking noise. No more clunk with the new bar.
The whole sway bar was cracked??

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
If you do mechanical work on a regular basis having a radiator hose pick in your tool box is a good investment. They make removal of radiator hoses, heater hoses, vacuum lines and cotter pins a breeze. I bought one about 30 years ago (still have it) and it paid for itself in time saved after the first couple of uses.
hmmm I may have to get myself one of those. I have some 90* needle nose pliers that have worked fine for me over time

Quick Reply: Strange clunking noise when turning