Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Question snow tires

since i will be getting a set of wheels for next summer and i could use tires i figured i should get a set of winter tires on my stock rims this winter. i have been thinking i should just get a set of four but i have been looking online and most people seem to say 2 on the front is enough but i think there might be some control issues when braking or goin around corners. i think i may as well get all four but just wanted to hear what you guys think and if you even use winter tires

Old 09-26-2009, 06:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No, you want FOUR tires to match, and rotate them every 6,000 miles RELIGIOUSLY!
I have a set of Goodyear winter tires. Been 30 years since I've had strictly winter tires. WOW! WHAT a difference! It will be the BEST thing you can do for your safety. Tires are the lifeline between you and the road. Your control is only as good as the traction you have, or in other words, the amount if slippage you DON"T have.
GET 4 WINTER TIRES, AND DON'T GET WAL-MART TIRES! Gett good tires. Go to tirerack.com and research. Know what you want BEFORE you buy.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

After two winters with "all season" tires, I'm finally getting some REAL snow tires. The last two winters, the all season tires got me stuck in the snow. Had to get the neighbors to help me get un-stuck.

Like Wayne suggested, get yourself some REAL snow tires. And make sure they made with a compound that doesn't harden up in cold temperatures like the cheaper WalMart snow tires.

I'm going with Toyo's. But all the major brands have good snow tires. Get all four. In winter time, it's all about staying on the road and keeping traction. Save the fancy looking tires for summertime.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 PM

yea i agree i was thinking about these they have a good review and a good price

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

or since theres not a lot of really bad snow days here i was thinkin about spending a little extra for these to get the performence on dry days

[URL="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Winter+Spor t+M3&partnum=26R6WSM3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompa re1=yes"]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Winter+Spor t+M3&partnum=26R6WSM3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompa re1=yes[/URL

opinions? or recommendations

Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I have two Cooper weather-master tires up front and two cooper all season tires out back. If you drive safely in the winter, you will not need strictly winter tires in the back. Get an M&S rated all season tire for the rear tho. They will have a tread compound that will withstand cold temperatures and they will have decent grip as well.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:47 PM

I just got two Pirelli High Performance Snow Tires. They are size P235/50-16 (Model Winter 210). Will there be a clearance issue if I mount them on my 96 LS?

Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by White04monte
yea i agree i was thinking about these they have a good review and a good price

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
I just put a set of the studded winterforce on our monte. I dropped down to a 16 inch cause the 17 inch were just too much money. Its an awesome tire. We haven't had any snow yet but it gets great reviews and looks really agressive

I ran studded cooper weathermasters on my Bonneville and they were great till they were down to half their tread life, then my Good Year Assurance Comfortreads all seasons were much better.