Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Snow and Handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Snow and Handling

Well got my first Winter test in the Monte today. We got hit with a few inches (but it's still coming down pretty strong, just finished cleaning the driveway 45 minutes ago and it's already covered again) but I must say it definitely handles better than my Silverado. With that I have to put about 50-75 pounds worth of sand bags in the back to help and I have a pair of snow tires on it (I don't know if it's not a good pair though, they don't help much).

Can I get an opinion here, do you think snow tires are really needed for the Monte. I mean if it handles how it did today absolutely no problems with that, a few slides but that's to be expected. If you think snow tires are a good investment which brand is best?

Old 12-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

I run 50 series "H-rated" all season and they are terrible in the snow...... Might need some myself...

Old 12-06-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
I run 50 series "H-rated" all season and they are terrible in the snow...... Might need some myself...
I just have some generic.... whatever the dealer put on .... tires, but as I say they were alright today, but we're supposed to get buried tonight so we'll see if they still hold up tomorrow.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:08 PM

... And with that I'm off to shovel the driveway... again. Sorry about the screen in the picture, just snapped it with my BlackBerry.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by mogwog
I just have some generic.... whatever the dealer put on .... tires, but as I say they were alright today, but we're supposed to get buried tonight so we'll see if they still hold up tomorrow.
I'm feeling your pain man, I still haven't made the decision to get new winter only tires yet. I made it through last winter which was a pain here in Pittsburgh, but I made it somewhat ok.

I've been checking out a set of Firestone Winterforce tires on Tirerack for $93 a piece, also check this thread about winter tires..

Why Buy Snow Tires?

Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
I'm feeling your pain man, I still haven't made the decision to get new winter only tires yet. I made it through last winter which was a pain here in Pittsburgh, but I made it somewhat ok.

I've been checking out a set of Firestone Winterforce tires on Tirerack for $93 a piece, also check this thread about winter tires..

Why Buy Snow Tires?
I looked at some Firestone tires but honestly I'm stubborn and I probably won't wise up enough to get snow tires until I hit a slick spot and almost (keyword almost) put myself in a ditch... Don't want to jinx myself

Old 12-06-2010, 05:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I definately recommend winter tires. I have always used winter tires on all my vehicles and have never even come close to losing control.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 PM

Although I think if you don't drive like a maniac you don't really NEED them, they just make it easier. I mean luckily I live right off a main road so it's plowed, the hardest part is getting out of my driveway and going 100ft to the main road... This is the only time I actually like being that close to the road, but I don't have many turns, that's the only time I slide, I tear right through the slush on the road no problems, I even went home a set of empty back roads to test, I figured better now than in January when it's all icy. I have the misfortune of having to pass the local high school everyday to get on the freeway to go to work though and you should see those morons trying to get into the school, it's a sight. I really think there should be a "Snow Driving" part of the drivers license test in areas that are prone to lots of snow.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I can't afford another set of wheels and winter tires. I also heard from a guy that runs a high performance Porsche shop, running snow tires on dry pavement wear the tires prematurely. So, they do a really good job keeping the roads clear where I live so I think my Eagle GTs are sufficient enough.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:17 AM

I have to say that I have never bought into the whole snow tire. But I have drove my 6th gen many years now with regular tires and haven't had any troubles at all. These cars in my opinion do just fine w/o specialty tires. Slow down take your time and ignore the people with 4x4 that think they're invisable because they can take off faster than everyone else.

However, I can only imagine how much it would improve handling acceleration and stoppping. I have thought about buying a pair of Blizzaks for the front and putting some good tires on the back. Especially since my son should be arriving in a couple weeks here and I am now nervous about transporting him around with me.

Quick Reply: Snow and Handling