Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

SHOCK QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default SHOCK QUESTION

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS and I have 20' tires on it and when I am on the freeway and hit a dip on the road the rear tires rub. It is my shocks or my springs thatneed be changed? Or should I have it lifted a couple of inches?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Default RE: SHOCK QUESTION

i am assuming u mean that they wheel rubs the top of the wheel well. a stiffer spring would help with the rubbin but give u a much stiffer ride. you could raise the car...lets c what some members who have/had the same problem have to say

Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 PM

i have the same problem with my 78 monte carlo. i put bigger slots in the rear then they started scraping the wheel wells wen i hit bumps in the road. i just bought airshocks today to take care of that problem but it will be a stiffer ride. either do that or get stiffer springs. that should do it.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: cali2000ss

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS and I have 20' tires on it and when I am on the freeway and hit a dip on the road the rear tires rub. It is my shocks or my springs thatneed be changed? Or should I have it lifted a couple of inches?
Hi `Joe,
You have a Super Looking Monte Carlo.
I would check out one of the many shops in your area
and have your Monte Checked `out by a expert in suspensions.
Especially the ones that are installing `Dub`s.
You may want to PM MCF Member SoLowSS
who has a vast amount of knowledge on Dubs.
Air Suspension is one way, but expensive.
Let us know what you do to correct.
Below is a site you and member might find interesting.
Good Luck
[:-]
WHEELS
Increasing your wheel size is done for several reasons. One; to allow the fitment of bigger brake systems (see below). Two; to allow the fitment of larger and wider tires. You may also want to fit wheels that have a larger surface opening to allow better brake cooling (see below). But the biggest reason to change your wheels from the original factory set, from a performance point of view, is to decrease unsprung weight.

The wheel on the left (brake dust and all), is mine. They aren't my favorite style, but they only weight 17lbs each which removed roughly 5lbs per corner from my car. By decreasing the weight of the wheel, the car is able to maintain higher levels of grip when cornering on rough or uneven pavement. The wheel on the right, a Dub Spinner, may have more style but weighs a lot more. This is a bad thing when it comes to performance driving.
Your car's suspension has to do two thing when you drive; keep the car level and keep the tires on the ground. The more weight you have on the corner that the suspension has work to keep on the ground (unsprung weight) makes it harder for the suspension to keep the car level. Think of it this way; when your tire hits a bump in the road it is pushed into the air. The more weight it has from the brakes, bearings, wheel, tire, etc., the harder the suspension has to work to push it back to the ground. The less weight, the easier it is for your suspension to do it's job, and the better you can corner because your tires spend more time in contact with the road.
I also chose to stay with the original size wheels for two reasons; BMW knew what they were doing when they designed the car and I didn' want to risk upsetting the driving dynamics by randomly picking a different size tire; and larger diameter wheels weren't any wider, so all I was doing was increasing the cost of the tire and wheel, adding weight, and not increasing the contact patch (and thereby grip) at all.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was thinking about getting spring spacers like the ones that they sell at auto zone. Does anybody know if the work ?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:04 PM

i'm shure that would work. if i understand what you mean. like an inch lift with the spacer? i would think that would help but i'm not totally shure.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM

[align=center]Hi Joe,[/align][align=center]Check out the below link that speicalizes in Chevy suspensions.[/align][align=center]You may want to email them with your questions,[/align][align=center]and solutions to your problem.[/align][align=center]Once connected to below link, they have a contact link.[/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.peddersusa.com/products/2...FQHyDAodxz0l3g[/align]