Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Rotors and Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Default Rotors and Brakes

Hey guys, it is time for me to do a rotor and brake change out job. Previously I have always used the regular smooth surfaced rotors and metallic brakes, but now I am considering going with drilled or slotted rotors and ceramic brakes.

What kind of difference should I see between the drilled and slotted rotors vs regular smoothed surface rotors? Do they wear down the brake pads unevenly since the entire rotor a flat surface? (the slots and then the drilled holes in the rotor is what I mean by not a flat surface.)

What should I expect performance wise from the ceramic brakes? Other than a smoother stop is there any other benefit?

Any thoughts on best rotors and brakes to go with? Trying to keep this 175-. Found a set front and back ceramic brake pads and 4 drilled and slotted rotors for my 2000 MC LS 3.4L for a price of 161.

Thanks ahead for your time!
Cody

Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm a fan of just getting high quality blank rotors, meaning no cuts, dimples, holes, grooves, etc. I like Centric Performance

Ceramic brakes will be quieter, but can be dustier.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM

Alright, so what would be best to put on my car? Just premium blank rotors and regular metallic brakes?

Last edited by Jethro; 03-14-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I got the drilled and slotted with ceramic. really i have not noticed any extra stopping power with the drilled and sloted over stock... about the same performance but i like the apperance better

Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM

Alright, thanks for the input! I will just go with the blank premium rotors then. They are a bit cheaper for me!

Thanks for the info Chibi as well!

Is there a way to fight the dust ceramic leaves behind? I rotate my tires just about every other month. If I take compressed air and blow it out would it help it at all? Or is the brake dust not that significant of a problem to worry about it?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just know that if you have nice rims, you'll be cleaning them more most likely haha.

Ceramic is quieter and stops a little better, also takes better to a little heat. Ceramic is definitely worth it, it's just a little dustier

Old 03-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
I got the drilled and slotted with ceramic. really i have not noticed any extra stopping power with the drilled and sloted over stock... about the same performance but i like the apperance better
If you really want to see an improvement in braking replace the rubber brake lines with braided stainless. Even brand new rubber hoses flex and absorb energy. Stainless covered PTFE hoses won't flex and allow more energy to reach the caliper.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
If you really want to see an improvement in braking replace the rubber brake lines with braided stainless. Even brand new rubber hoses flex and absorb energy. Stainless covered PTFE hoses won't flex and allow more energy to reach the caliper.
I have been seriously thinking about this. Maybe next season I am already putting big bucks in the Deuce for the Monte Nats this year so far i have spent about $1k and have to spend about $1.5 k more but she will be da Lady in Red 4-sure when I get done

Old 03-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Just know that if you have nice rims, you'll be cleaning them more most likely haha.

Ceramic is quieter and stops a little better, also takes better to a little heat. Ceramic is definitely worth it, it's just a little dustier
I have the stock rims from 2000 lol. So I am not too worried about it. I get a car wash once a week so. Will have pics up of my car this weekend, sunroof getting replaced today then can wash it and get pics up! The stock rims are in pretty good shape for being a 2000 really. But I got ceramic ones, ceramc brakes for front and back and then callahan premium rotors for front and back all for $125.

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I will definitely remember that for when I am doing my suspension mods! Thanks!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If your doing a full brake job it is a good time to paint the calipers if you haven't already. That way if you get new rims you'll be all set.

Quick Reply: Rotors and Brakes