Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Rear STB bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Rear STB bar

I was just wondering if anyone has tried putting an STB on the rear towers of the 00-05. I'm wondering because I will be getting into racing the car a bit more next year on road courses, and am looking to stiffen up the suspension a bit. At the moment I have the GMPP sway bar upgrade kit with poly bushing up front and moog endlinks in the rear, Eibach lowering springs, and KYB AGX 4 way struts, and the car came stock with the front STB.

Anybody with any experiences with the rear STB, your input and experience is much appreciated

Thanks,
David

Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

http://drcustomparts.com/HomePage.htm

Get some brackets for the rear, buy a bar, and have fun.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 PM

i agree with blacksheep. get the brackets for a cleaner install. i made brackets similar to the don rome ones by using the template that comes with the GM STB bars and cutting them out with the band saw where i work.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Just out of curiosity, would you happen to have that template laying around? And perhaps a way to PM/email it to me?

Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by drewskie043
i agree with blacksheep. get the brackets for a cleaner install. i made brackets similar to the don rome ones by using the template that comes with the GM STB bars and cutting them out with the band saw where i work.
werent you suppose to be making more for us 06-07 gens?!

Old 12-02-2009, 01:30 PM

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...ace-p-121.html#

I was thinking of something more along the lines of that style with the ring around the tower, but the rings would be welded to the gm stb.

I posted this because Im more wondering how the car reacts or handles with the rear stb. I was hoping to get some replies from people with them so they can share their experiences, like if the car goes back into understeer or if it oversteers or anything like that.

I do appreciate your help and the new links though. Now i have somewhere to get parts when I get this moving along.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I bought the front brackets from DRCustomparts, they worked well with GM STB.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by montyss02
Just out of curiosity, would you happen to have that template laying around? And perhaps a way to PM/email it to me?
yeah i still have them around, BUT i never said much about them because i could have done a better job making them, haha. when i was all done, i still had to do lots of filing and fitting to get it to fit the way i wanted it to. then i welded 3/8" threaded studs in the brackets for an easier install. i don't even have the rears done yet so i don't know how they fit. work has been crazy so i haven't had time to cut them out. plus our bandsaw has been down for a couple months now

basically what i did was get the GM STB bars kit and draw a don rome-like shaped bracket around the mounting holes on the template that came with the STB bar kit. therefore, if you buy or already have the kit, you could probably make better ones than i have right now. let me know

Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

i have front/rear stabilizer bar with don rome brackets. i can feel the suspension more stiffer. when i was at the track doing burn out i feel the front tires stay put and not moving side to side than before. overall i think it helps a lot.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by drewskie043
yeah i still have them around, BUT i never said much about them because i could have done a better job making them, haha. when i was all done, i still had to do lots of filing and fitting to get it to fit the way i wanted it to. then i welded 3/8" threaded studs in the brackets for an easier install. i don't even have the rears done yet so i don't know how they fit. work has been crazy so i haven't had time to cut them out. plus our bandsaw has been down for a couple months now

basically what i did was get the GM STB bars kit and draw a don rome-like shaped bracket around the mounting holes on the template that came with the STB bar kit. therefore, if you buy or already have the kit, you could probably make better ones than i have right now. let me know
I'm going to try and get them done at the Auto Craft Shop in Ft.Sill. I have a friend that has access to the shop and should be able to get them done there.

Quick Reply: Rear STB bar