Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Rear clearance

Old 09-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Default Rear clearance

Hi. I have a 2001 Monte Carlo that I reccently put 18 inch rims on. Tires size 235 - 50. When People sit in the back seat some times I have a problem with it hitting. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions to correct this problem?

Old 09-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Default RE: Rear clearance

Well, there are three fixes:

1) Don't put people in the back seat?

2) Go with an even MORE lo-pro tire

3) Get stiffer aftermarket shocks and springs.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:35 PM

4th option is put the old 16's back on.

Your best bet would be to put in stiffer aftermarket springs and shocks. This is just one of those necessary expences that you need to do when you buy larger rims that most people don't consider.

You can't just slap on larger rims, you have to upgrade the suspention as well or it rides like ****.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:42 PM

I agree, upgrading your suspension would be best. If you don't have the cash you can cheat though. When I put my 20's on I modified the lip underneath the back fender where the tires hit when you have weightor hit big bumps. You can't cut long ways because of the tack welds but you can make half inch cuts every half inch on the lip and bend them up flush with the fender and undercoat the finished product. You can't see anything from the outside and it can be done clean if you take your time. (I can feel all you cringing at this procedure)..lol.. but it cost about 20 bucks and I haven't had a problem. The key is to undercoat when your done to prevent rust and such and try not to cut any tack welds.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: MonteBoosto

I agree, upgrading your suspension would be best. If you don't have the cash you can cheat though. When I put my 20's on I modified the lip underneath the back fender where the tires hit when you have weightor hit big bumps. You can't cut long ways because of the tack welds but you can make half inch cuts every half inch on the lip and bend them up flush with the fender and undercoat the finished product. You can't see anything from the outside and it can be done clean if you take your time. (I can feel all you cringing at this procedure)..lol.. but it cost about 20 bucks and I haven't had a problem. The key is to undercoat when your done to prevent rust and such and try not to cut any tack welds.
LOL! This method is so extremely old school. We all did this when we put L-60's and airshocks on our muscle cars.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Im not sure how i feel about making cutts under the fender. lol. I think Ill go with the suspension upgrade.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: jaws7647

Thanks for the feedback. Im not sure how i feel about making cutts under the fender. lol. I think Ill go with the suspension upgrade.
I think this is the better option as you are fixing the problem rather than putting duct tape on it. Don't get me wrong the cutting method is a good inexpensive way of doing it and saving a good deal of money, but ask yourself what the Pros would do?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:36 AM

Do you guys think a set ofKYB AGX Sport Adjustable Struts would be a good fix?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:41 AM

Most certainly! Those are regarded by most Wbody enthusiasts to be in a league of their own. I personally am saving for those right now, along with the Eibach Lowering springs... and for your application.. I think those would be an incredible upgrade! Set to ultra stiff in the rear, and you shouldn't have any more issues with those rims rubbing the wheel well.

-Keegan

Old 09-25-2007, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the input. Do you thinkI could get away with just replacing the rear or should I do all 4?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear clearance