Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Popping When Turning

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Default Popping When Turning

My Monte is low miles, under 7000. When I turn the wheels while driving I can feel like a slightpopping in the the steering wheel. It feels like it is coming from underneath in the front thru the steering wheel. It is the only front wheel drive I have ever owned and wonder if part of this is the front wheel drive feel vs a rear wheel vehicle?
I would rather ask on here than to take it to the dealer and have them take the car apart for nothing.I welcome any input on this subject.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Default RE: Popping When Turning

Probably the intermediate steering shaft. GM's are good for having them fail. Thats my guess. I had one done on my 06, and another on my old 04 malibu.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:58 AM

Thanks, I'll have tomake sure I get that checked before to much time passes. Better it fail now than after warranty.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:28 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

it should turn just like a RWD, if not easier.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:16 AM

2005 Tony Stewart Signature Series Monte Carlo SS
Still under warranty, let them tear it apart, for free. =)

Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Google intermediate steering shafts . They've had all kinds of problems and not so good fixes. I hear that they are "supposed to" have a new one that wil fix the problem - I'm waiting to see if it does. They say it's not a safety issue.
Anyone know if the new ISS has a grease fitting?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: dustybird3

Google intermediate steering shafts . They've had all kinds of problems and not so good fixes. I hear that they are "supposed to" have a new one that wil fix the problem - I'm waiting to see if it does. They say it's not a safety issue.
Anyone know if the new ISS's has a grease fitting?
First, thanks everybody for the help with my problem. I am now armed with some good info before heading to the dealer.I would also be interested if anybody knows if the newest version has a grease fitting? It seems that that would solve the problem and make this an easier maintence item. Also I can make sure they install the newest version my the car, if the problem turns out to be the steering shaft. Sounds like they just take it out and lube it though. I'll probably head to the dealer after the first of the year and post an update on what they find.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 PM

BUMP

Looking for an update....

Old 03-11-2008, 09:03 PM

ya my 04 seems to click a little when i turn it while sitting still and the other night i came out of a stop sign from a right turn and when i straightened out i booted it down and when the rpms jumped up i felt a pop in the steering wheel... possibly the same ISS issue? maybe i should take it to the dealer too while its still covered but they never can find aything while they have to pay to fix it, you know how that is but the day your warranty is up you've got 1300 bucks worth of parts they say you need

Old 03-29-2008, 08:24 PM

I have observed a pop on my 03 for a year or two now. I had it on my lift a while back and noticed that when the wheels were turned left to right that the boots on the rack and pinion for the tie rods would pop as they expanded and collapsed. I think that the boots are starting to dry out and becoming brittle. Just my two cents here!

Quick Reply: Popping When Turning