Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Old Question...New Person

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Default Old Question...New Person

Greetings all. I'm looking to put some new "blang" (that's how bling is pronounced here in the south) on my 02 Earnhardt Monte. I'll most likely order them from an online vendor to save some coin so I'm curious if someone could tell me the specs I'm needing for spacing. Also, it looks to be a choice between 18" or 20" and I have read several posts regarding both. My main concern, however, is if a 20" rim would cause undue wear on my axles or braking system.

I found these (http://www.ultrawheel.com/wheel_deta...d=2&id=170) but am not certain if they would work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Old Question...New Person

20's will not wear down the suspension or brakes so long as you have good suspension and brakes on it...

make sure that when you put big rims on you have all moog chassis and suspension, and also premium rotors and ceramic pads....

raybestos pgd699qs (pads) and raybestos 56641 rotors work the best for the price and i never once had a problem with brake dust since i've put them on..mind you i dont have chrome wheels..but i still dont get brake dust on the rims i have

Old 02-08-2007, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. Looks like the rotors run in the neighborhood of $50/ea and the pads are around $60/pr. Since I have the four-wheel disc brakes, I assume I'd need two pair of pads, correct? Would these be the only mods I would need to accommodate 20s? And if I just went with 18s, would I need to do the same mods on the brake system?

Regarding the suspension, I'm assuming it still has stock which, according to specs, is "sport suspension". Would this suffice?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member

fronts

pgd699qs x1
56641 x 2

rears

pgd698qs x1
56629 x 2

that should be everything you need for front and rear brakes if you want no brake dust

Old 02-08-2007, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member

moog outer tie rods are part # es3459 you would need 2 of these
and moog lower ball joints part # k5331 also 2 of these...

now these aren't neccesary for putting the rims on...'but' it is safer to do it...and its 5 years old now...so its getting close to the time they should be changed

Old 02-08-2007, 01:39 PM

Would I need the same upgrades if I just went with 18"? I see your TS edition there, what size are you running?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member

those are just the stock 17's on it...but i still like them...
i'd really like to do 20's or 22's though

i dont think you would HAVE to have the moog parts (even with the 20's) but its recomended still..

but still do the brakes with the 18's for getting rid of brake dust

Old 02-08-2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the help. Not much of a mechanic-type fellow but can help if car audio ever comes up. Couple more questions. Anything I need to check regarding the suspension? Also, what about lug and back spacing for the new rims, do you have those numbers?

I'm assuming that's your store in the background, so I know you could swing some 22s if you wanted.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member

they do give me a super deal on rims for my own car...but they're still too much out of my price range right now...

having a little one kinda gets rid of your mod money lol but its worth it ..i've never been happier

as for ball joints and tie rods you probably dont need them...its just if you plan on going to 20's you should spend the extra couple hundred bucks and change them even if the ones you have aren't bad...

but if your going with the 18's i wouldn't worry about that so much...

but defenetely the brakes for a cosmetic thing and stoping power

Old 02-08-2007, 05:38 PM

How bout hookin a boy up with a super deal on the brakes, etc.?

I concur about having a little one to provide for. I have a little man who will be three later this month so I know all about it, but it's definitely one of the best experiences you can have.

Quick Reply: Old Question...New Person