Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Offset question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Default Offset question

I have been searching on different websites and the recommended offset for a 5th gen is ranged between 35 to 42.

Does that means that a rim that has an offset of 2 will definitely need a spacer if i want to avoid rubbing problems with 18''? Would I be able to turn?

Last edited by monte quebec; 04-20-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:00 AM

anyone...please?

Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 AM

ahh, ive never understood what an offset is exactly, ill for sure help you out if you help me out(tell me what an offset is exactly)

Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

An offset is the difference (in MMs) from the hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. A positive offset means that it mounts more towards the outer edge of the wheel (common on FWD) and a Negative means that it is mounted more towards the brakes (common on RWD)

Do the recommended offsets.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 AM

okay, i kinda had that as an idea, but couldnt quite figure it out. thanks.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 AM

now, knowing that, youd most definetly be having some rubbing issues. like chibi said, stay with the recommended offsets, ive heard that wheel spacers are bad news. think about it, youre putting some heavy stress on the lugs if you dont mount the wheels where theyre supposed to be.(all the way back on the lugs)

Last edited by wht02monte; 04-22-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM

I dont see where a well balanced and chosen spacer would cause any bad to the bolts because a good one doesnt stand on the bolts, but on the center hub like a lego would fit on top of another one. I figured out why it would cause rubber issues: while you ''push'' further the wheel toward the exterior of the car to recreate the recommended offset settings, the wheel wont take any more room to turn. it will just turn, but out or further than its original place. Now 20'' may be to bigger.
But is the only reasion causing rubbering problem the fact that the wheel is more ''out'' of its place (addind positive offset)and when the car comes to lower due to turnings or bumps, the body gets down on the tire?
That is absolutely not an explanation but a guess....someone please correct me if im wrong.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:18 PM

yeah, im not 100% sure on what im saying but, if you put a spacer on there, look at it this way, the spacer isnt holding the wheel to the hub, the center of the wheel is. so if you put a spacer on there, you got the center of the wheel in the middle of the lugs. i cant really explain this as good as i want but do you kinda get what im saying? and as for the offset im not to sure on that either, just trying my best to help out with that one.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:54 AM

Well I have 20" wheels that are 20x8.5 and mounted on 245/35/20 tires. I have no rub at all. As a matter of fact, I have the exact same amount of clearance that I had with the 225/60/16's. I can turn the same and everything else feels the same. Can't say anything about bumps though because I have been really cautious about taking those. I try to avoid if possible and go slow over tough bumps if I have no choice. Like Chibi said, go with the recommended offset and you should be good. That is what I did.

A side note. The wheels that I have are also a positive offset. Forgot to mention that. They state that they could be used for front or rear wheel drive vehicles so maybe my offset is a little different. I could check the specs and let you know.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:42 AM

What year is your monte lostcausejtown?

Quick Reply: Offset question