Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Nitrogen in Tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Nitrogen in Tires ?

[align=center]Are any members using nitrogen in their tires ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Please post your pros and cons[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click below to read article[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://www.livescience.com/environme...gen-tires.html[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]More links below[/align][align=center][/align]The Straight Dope: Is it better to fill your tires with nitr...
Feb 16, 2007 ... Nitrogen in tires is relatively new to the mass market. ... Filling your tires with nitrogen mainly does two things: it eliminates moisture, ...
www.straightdope.com/columns/070216.html - 10k - Similar pages
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/070216.html
Nitrogen in Tires : Information about Nitrogen Tire Inflatio...
The Get Nitrogen Institute provides consumers, over-the-road truckers, fleet managers and others information about the benefits of using nitrogen in tires.
www.getnitrogen.org/ - 31k - Similar pages [align=center][/align]

Old 07-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Default RE: Nitrogen in Tires ?

I've often thought about filling my tires with helium. The theory is that the lifting effect of the helium lightens the car (some say up to 0.5% of total car weight), thus saving fuel. It also will help if you hit something, such as a human, the car will actually bounce over the object, thus preventing injury. I once saw a movie about a car with helium-filled tires that actually flew! (No wait, that was flubber...)

Old 07-29-2008, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

LOL Randall Member rchurch
I had to research Flubber to see whatyour post was about
LOL
I thought maybe you were smoking or drinking Nitrogen
or snorting helium to get a high LOL
[align=center][/align]
Please dont do Nitrogen and Drive
or Smoke
Smoking only permitted in the hallways of the MCF

I will have to watch Flubber someday LOL

Old 07-29-2008, 02:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009

I GOT NITROGEN IN MY TIRES, ITS ONLY WHAT NASCAR USES IN THEIR TIRES AS WELL, 10 DOLLARS PER TIRE, IT DOES HELP ON MY MPG BECAUSE WHEN IN WARM AIR OR COLD AIR YOUR TIRE PRESSURE DOESNT FLUCTUATE BECAUSE NITROGEN JUST STAYS CONSISTENT WITH ANY TEMPERATURE, PLUS YOU SHOULD NEVER LOSE ANY PRESSURE FOR SOME REASON YOU DO THE PLACE YOU GET YOUR TIRES FILLED WILL FILL IT BACK UP IF YOU NEED TO WHICH IS VERY RARE.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 PM

just fill your tires with air its 78% nitrogen anyways,and check tires monthly

Old 08-07-2008, 09:24 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i tried to post that earlier too.... 78 percent of air is nitrogen.... all youre doing is taking out the 1.5 percent that is hydrogen and the 18 percent or so that is oxygen.

they tell you in that pamplet that nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen so it will leak out slower.... well thats true... but oxygen isnt air. air is air. nitrogen molecules are smaller than air so it will probably leak out faster.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:56 AM

I run it in all my vehciles, even in the Ferrari for the race track. I have access to a machine and we have filled it with a nearly 99% concentration, by inflating once or twice then letting it blow out and re-inflating to get the highest concentration. On the street vehciles I own all the pressures are set near the maxiumum.

That said my observation is the tires "seam" harder. It is hard to discribe verbally, but even cold the tires feel harder with less flex. I "feel" more of the driving surface then before. Its really weird. But in a good way. As far as fuel milelage, well I have a lead foot and the Supercharged SS is too fun not to mash the pedal from light to light. So no improvement seen there. LOL