Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

New tires for my 2006 3LT

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Default New tires for my 2006 3LT

Hello everyone,

My Monte needs some new tires. I was hoping to get some advice on what I should replace them qith. I currently have the LS2 Goodyears. Should I just keep the O.E. tires or should I go with something else? Thanks everyone. Also, I have been looking to add some chrome tips to my exhaust. I looked at the GM tips that are offered but they seem to be priced weird. The SS tips come as a package of 2 and cheaper and the 3.9 come as individual and you have to purchase two of them which is more expensive. They are nice though! Anyone have any ideas on what to do, should I purchase them pr shoudl I go somewhere else for them or does anyone have any for sale? Once again thanks for the help.

Chris

Old 10-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Default RE: New tires for my 2006 3LT

Hi `Chris, from S.D., & Welcome to the
Monte Carlo Forum.
How many miles did you get from your GoodYear LS2`s ?
Would love to see pictures of your LT3 - 4Sure : )
What color is yours ? What options ?
Are you looking for a all season tire, since you live in S.D. ?
I would check sites like tirerack.com or discount tire.com.
They both have decent prices & good selections.
Be Patience, we have several members with the
Awesome Monte Carlo LT3 & LTZ, and I am sure
they will post their preference.
Look forward to your future posts/pictures.
Wish you safe/happy miles in your Monte Carlo.
Below is a MCF Members Post onexhaust tips
(Use our MCF Search Engine to Explore, & also
check out the Members Gallery to get some idea`s)
[:-]

Old 10-04-2008, 11:59 AM

Hey Kidspace,

Thanks for the welcome. I will post some later today after the wash. I have 34,800 miles on them and they still have a little tread on them but I was thinking about the winter, but I was looking for an all season tire that would look nice. I have 3.9L cloth interior Onstar, believe its just the basic radio with MP3 and single cd. Any other options you can ask me and I will find out. It is bronze color. Once again thanks for the welocome.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:09 PM

I've got General Tire's Exclaim UHP tires now, but they're just summer tires so I wouldn't recommend them going into winter. Being in Laramie I find it nice to have two sets, one for the few weeks of summer, then a set of winter tires on the stock wheels. I think it's a set of Bridgestone Blizzak's that I've got for the winter (they're back home, need to go get 'em soon). Last winter they seemed to hold up pretty well.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:11 AM

Welcome to the forum!
Funny thing you should ask. I just bought tires for my car last week. I live in Iowa and I knew winter was coming. I read about Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread. They are an 80,000 mile tire, and are top rated. The dealer wanted about 165 a piece. I found them at http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do for 128 a piece. With free Shipping and NO TAX! all together with Free Lifetime replacement of the tires it was $575. Then I had the dealer mount and balance them for the $50 they quoted me. They are so sweet looking. and They are made for all seasons. They ride really nice, I've had them on for about a week so far, and they are smooth, and they handle really nicely. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:47 AM

i would recommend the bf goodrich traction ta. i have been using them for a short while, my brother uses them, and i had also read great reviews about them. great on snow, ice, and rain.pretty good price too around $100/tire

as for the exhaust tips, shop around at summit or jegs. they have a good selection and i think they would be cheaper than the dealer. make sure you get stainless and not chrome ones.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Hello everyone. Well I had to go to the dealer due to having excessive vibration in my steering wheel in the road and grinding pulsating feel when I applied the brakes. HEre is the outcome I got from the dealership:

1. The rotors were warped. They stated that they needed to be turned. Cost $60.00.
2. THe vibration in the steering wheel is due to the tires. Nothing can be done unless I replace the tires.

So I declined to replace the tires and had them resurface the front rotors. After a week I was getting a grinding noise when applying the brakes coming off the highway stopping. Took the vehicle in again. Again they said it was the rotors and they turned them again. Now the noise is gone. My vehicle has 35,500. The warranty is coming up and I want to ensure everything is taken care of. Are tires covered under the warranty? Anyone have any issues with the LS2's tires? They have about 4/32 to 5/32 left on tread and the dealer says not covered. Also, my seats are cloth and they have wear spots on them. Anyone have any issues with that? Is it covered under warranty? Other than that I love my monte. Any help with those issues i'd appreciate. Also, if anyone could give me some info on what to check on to around the vehicle that might need to be fixed or checked out as they have had problems with so I can have them looked at before the warranty is up i'd appreciate that too! Thanks!

Chris

Old 10-26-2008, 12:27 PM

Hi Chris! I don't think that tires are covered under warranty - they may be considered a wear and tear item. Now that said, you may be able to get the dealer to pro-rate them for you, but you will probably just be better off buying new tires. As for the seats, I think that this may be a bit of a grey area - they may not do anything for you unless the seats are completely worn through. I too have the cloth seats, and the drivers seat is a bit worn (right where you park you butt) - I think the cloth they use isn't as high quality as what they used back in the day. Maybe look into getting some seatcovers(?)
As for the vibration in the steering column - could that maybe be due to the intermediate steering shaft? I had an Impala as a rental when my car got into an accident, and the steering wheel had a bit of vibration in it when I put on the brakes. I didn't know what it was at the time, but after reading about it here, it made sense. Don't know if this is the exact link you are looking for, but I hope it helps!

https://montecarloforum.com/m_51873/tm.htm

Old 10-26-2008, 03:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's the issue with the vibration when you apply your brakes. Your idiot dealer is using an impact wrench to tighten the lug nuts on the wheels. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! THAT'S what's warping the rotors. They MUST be hand torqued to 100 lbs, and then re-torqued after 50 miles again. Spend the $30 for a cheap clicker torque wrench, and the $15 for a double ended lug socket, and torque them yourself.

If your tires are bad, you will get a shimmy all the time, not just when braking. If your rotors are warped BAD, that will also contribute to shimmy. If you have to replace rotors, put some Powerslots on with Hawk HPS pads.

A worn ISS will feel like a bad tie rod end, a little slop in the steering, and a small clunking under your foot. I'm ready to have mine serviced, before my extended warranty goes out.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:51 PM

i agree, you SHOULD use a torque wrench to tightenyour lug nuts. However, I've done it with an impact wrench for many years, on many different vehicles, and have never warped any rotors.If you have the right feel for it, you won't wreck anything.The mechanic must really be wrenching on that impact hard to end up warping the rotors. If that's the case, take it to another dealer that knows what he's doing, or do it yourself like RocknSS04 says.

Quick Reply: New tires for my 2006 3LT