Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

New Suspension is Here!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking New Suspension is Here!

Finally. My 4 Complete Strut Assemblies were delivered yesterday. Monroe Sensa tracks with new springs, bearings and mounts. Paid $297.00 for the for and got free shipping. Can't wait to install them. The old ones have 163000 abusive miles on them plus the 7000 I put on them Since I bought my Monte. I only have an Idea of how the car is supposed to ride from the 98 Monte LS I use to have. Will post results once it's. Done!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM

Looking forward to seeing pics JC! Take a few along the way too!

Old 06-22-2013, 05:31 AM
5 Year Member

Yea, I was thinking about doing a video. I was looking on YouTube for a how to on the rears, just to find out if the top mount was accessible from behind the seats or from the trunk. Found nothing on the Monte rear suspension. So i may just do a video "How To" and put a link here.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:23 PM

I'm sure our members can help you with some info on how to do the rear suspension. Plenty of people have done suspension work at all four corners here on the forum!!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member

I shoulda had all you guys on Insta-Tread. Got my rear struts done after work. Had no clue the 2 lower pins were such a 5 letter word that begins with B, to get out. And then it go dark on me. Ever try to put a strut in in the dark? Little holes become invisible holes in the dark. But she rides nice. Was worth the bloody nuckles. Tomorrow a.m. is the fronts. I've had them out before so they will be a breeze. Now it's shower and bed.

Last edited by JC Colon; 06-23-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

bloody knuckles and all.....bang them out tomorrow....... Good luck and keep us posted......

Old 06-23-2013, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member

Got the new struts in. The front was much easier than the rear. 5 bolts and loosened the sway bar. In and out. No Blood This time. I didn't get get the lift in the rear that I wanted. But it is stiffer than OEM. And OMG,I love tthe ride. My 98 LT had nothing on the ride of my 02. It's like the difference between chocolate cake and Brownies with Crushed Pecans, Mmmm!
Next is to finish the Exhaust and then a Triple Edge Transmission. Then all the guys in there half done Rice Burners can stair at my tail lights. Lol. (No Offence to the Honda Guys) The ones that actually work to complete their cars!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM

JC, is it just better, tighter handling overall? I'm still on stock suspension, and I'm not really sure what a beefed up one would feel like. Could you describe it? Btw, did you lower it?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member

Dubs, I actually raised the rear 2". I installed Rear Coil Spring in Spreaders in the rear. Left the front stock height. Gives it a slight forward slant. It is Stiffer and much more solid on the road. And my trans loves it. A lot less slippage.
Got the struts from the first site and the second is the spreaders.
I'll put pics in later.

CompleteStruts.com | Product Search

Adjustable Rear Coil Spring Spacer, Spreader or Compressor

Old 06-30-2013, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Default It's All In!

Well, I finally got the last Strut and the Outer Tie Rod installed.
Along with a new outer tie rod. I have to say that the rear was much harder than the front. The 2 Lower pins in on the rear struts are pressed in toward the front of the car, giving no space to Bang them out. (I was using a 3# Hammer). And the Brake Caliber on the passenger side had to be removed to get the lower pin nut off. The fronts were relatively EASY! Remove the Sway Bar End Links, Pop out the 2 Lower pins, Take off the 3 upper mounting nuts, Boom, they're out.
Install on reverse order but don't tighten the the upper nuts down until the 2 Lower Pins are in place. Peace of cake right? But I wish I had a Lift!
The car rides better than I ever thought it would. The Rear Coil Spring Spreader are working Great to not only to give the car that little bit or lift i was looking for but also to stiffen up the rear a little. I hate a rear suspension that feels like a wimpy handshake!
Next weekend I'll take it to Pepboy's for an alignment. Then on to the Trans. I would like to have the car Completely done by the end of the summer. But it has to be done by next April. That's when the inspection is due. After that, it's Upgrade time! This Big Kid is always playing with his Toy!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails New Suspension is Here!-20130630_160328.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Suspension is Here!