Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

New rims, Pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:58 AM
Default New rims, Pressure problem

Hi,

I have a question. I just put some rims on my car and the car was still reading the pressure from my original tires and the all of a sudden it stopped and it could no longer showed the old tire pressure and it doesnt even show the new tire pressure. Is there any way I can get it to read the tire pressure of my RIMS?? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: New rims, Pressure problem

did you have the sensors put in your new wheels?

Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 AM

What sensor wiz Kidd? Thanks for your help

Old 08-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

what year is your monte? i know the 06-07's have the tire pressure sensor in them...i'm pretty sure the 00-05's have them as well...something that tells your message center if the tires are low on pressure

Old 08-23-2007, 12:39 PM

The 06 & 07 models have the tire pressure sensors in each wheel, which enables the system to show the air pressure in each of the 4 wheels. The earlier models, as far as I know (my 04 SS was like this) had a sensor that recieved its info through the ABS system. This type could only detect if one tire was a lower pressure that the others, but it couldn't tell you which tire was low. You had to physically check them yourself. If there was a tire down on air, you could inflate all tires to your desired pressure, then reset the system. If a tire continued to lose air, the system would warn you once the pressure dropped below that of the other tires.

As far as I know, there aren't any actual sensing devices in the wheels in the system prior to the 06 models.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 PM

I believe Rev is correct.The local tire shop owner told me the ABS types will trip if any one tire is low by 15-17 psi.If all 4 are equally low,it won't detect a difference and will not trip.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:46 PM

I am sorry I should have stated what model I had. I have a 06. Is there anyway to put them in my new rims?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:43 PM

you can reinstall the sensors in any wheels.hope u still got them cause they are $50 each!

Old 08-24-2007, 02:57 AM

Yes I have them. Where are they located? Are they easy to install or do I need to hire a professional?

Old 08-24-2007, 04:36 PM

The sensors mount inside the rims, and your tireswill have to be taken off the rim to mount them.Apparently they have a small battery built in, which is supposed to last for up to 10 years, which sends the info tho the computer, then it can be displayed on the DIC. I guess after 10 years, you have to buy new sensors, because I was told the batteries are not replaceable.

I think you should go to a professional tire shop, or a dealer, because when I had my original 18" rims switched out to the accessory GM rims, they had a problem as to what they needed to do to get the tire monitor system to work. If I remember correctly, I had to purchase some part, a valve stem it seems to me, that would attach to the original sensors, and allow you to re-use them in other rims. They originallytold meI would have to buy all new sensors at some ridiculous price, but I blew my cork and said there had to be another way, thats when they dug deeper, and came up with whatever part they used to make the original sensors work. Seems to me the parts i needed cost me about $10 for each wheel.

Tire monitor systems are going to be a nightmare, because all manufacturers use a different system, and actually, the guys at the tire shop that mounted my accessory rims, knew more about them than the dealer did.

Quick Reply: New rims, Pressure problem