Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

new front struts wont fit ..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Angry new front struts wont fit ..

Am replacing the front struts in my 98 Monte .. did everything down to pumping the hydrolic fluid out of the strut body .. my problem is, the new strut cartridge wont fit all the way down in the body .. there are some nubs or grooves sticking out on the inside of the strut body at the bottom .. so how am I supposed to replace the struts if they wont go all the way in .. ?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Did you do the below ?
Do you have a Strut Tool ?
Are you sure you have the correct new Strut for you year/model ?
Maybe the below with help
1. remove strut plate on top - 3 15mm nuts
2. remove strut nut - 3. remove old strut mount
3. use strut tool to go down on the retaining nut for strut cartridge, remove
4. pull old strut out, be careful, if it is original old strut oil will get all over the place
5. insert new strut. leaving the old oil in the strut tube is OK, most of it will come out when you install the new strut anyhow.
6. tighten down new strut retaining nut DO NOT USE AN IMPACT
7. install new strut mount
8. install strut nut
9. install strut cover plate

===================
Good Luck & check back on your thread problem for our expert member's to respond...

Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Space pretty much nailed it here.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 PM

Uhhh, thanks for the input its greatly appriciated .. however, I've taken the old strut cartridge out, but at the bottom of the strut body / chamber where the strut slides in and out of, there are three "nubs" or whatever they are called, they are stopping the strut from going all the way down into place which is keeping me from putting the retainer nut back on I can't screw it back into place because the strut is sticking up too far .. does it make difference if the car was manufactured in Canada? Its a 98 with the 3.1 v6 .. every auto parts store and even the dealerships carry the same size strut .. they are too fat to fit into place at the bottom f the chamber where the strut goes into .. really been a freaking nightmare of a job ..

Last edited by bblonco; 04-11-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: forgot to add something ..
Old 04-12-2011, 03:26 AM

There should be no difference where your Monte was produced. The 3.1 & 3.8L use the same size front struts.
Are you sure that you got the correct struts for your year Monte Carlo ?

I hope one of our expert tech member's see's your thread & can assist..

What company made the struts that you purchased...and what is the code (Parts # ?) Did you confirm that they are the proper strut for you year/model ?

Good Luck

Old 04-12-2011, 04:40 PM

your insight and knowledge are greatly appriciated .. i think its the end cap of the original strut cartridge that came off and is stuck down in there .. i had to call the monroe company / store ..

Old 04-13-2011, 04:19 AM

Were you able to get the cap out ? Hope so 4-Sure.
Good Luck...Keep us updated & let us know how it handles with your new struts : )

Old 04-16-2011, 05:04 PM

still cant get this **** right .. why does everybody i call everywhere i go , even the chevy dealer not know wtf im talking about .. i dont think ill ever bye a monte carlo again !!!!!

Old 04-16-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by bblonco
still cant get this **** right .. why does everybody i call everywhere i go , even the chevy dealer not know wtf im talking about .. i dont think ill ever bye a monte carlo again !!!!!
I feel your frustration....but understand these kind of thing can happen on any car that uses the same type of suspension as the Monte. It's unfortunate and I hope you get it worked out soon, don't give up though! Consider it a learning experience.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

so there's something wrong with the new strut cartridge but it's the Monte's fault?

if you posted some pics as to what you are talking about we may be able to help you more.

Quick Reply: new front struts wont fit ..