Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Need some new 17" tires -recomendations?

Old 10-01-2016, 10:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Need some new 17" tires -recomendations?

I have been going through tires lately, I just don't seem to get the mileage that they are rated for. I've had an alignment and can rotate every 5K miles but the insides of all 4 tires will be down to the wear bars in about 30 to 35K miles. (the middle and outside of the tire still has decent tread.) About 95% of my driving is 2 lane highway at about 60Mph; I have tried both Goodyear tires and the Cooper CS touring tires with the same result.
2005 SS Monte, inter-cooled, headers, 2.9 pulley, custom cam, my own custom tune; Stock rims and tires

What is everyone else using for tires and what kind of mileage are you getting out of a set?
Thanks!

Old 10-02-2016, 11:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Michelin Primacy MX lasted me 130K. Most of my driving is highway commuting in comfort.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member

130K on a set of tires ???? WOW that's more than my beast has on the odometer...

Old 10-02-2016, 02:26 PM

Lots of questions here.

What were the readings from the alignment? Particularly camber and toe. Those two are the most common to eat up the inside of the tires. I'm thinking maybe one or both were just barely in spec and that they may drift out of spec during actual driving due to worn suspension components.

On that note, how are your suspension components? Bushings, tie rods, hubs, etc, are they all tight and in good condition?

As far as the actual tires go, I'm thinking they're not the problem if you're always wearing out one area way before the rest of the tire. If you're looking for tire reccomendat ions, we'd need more info on what you're looking for. You seem to be looking for longevity, but also have a bunch of engine mods. A tire with high tread wear numbers is typically going to suck at hooking up that power during spirited driving. Also, we'd need to know what your budget is so we don't recommend something out of your range.

Bottom line is that I'd start with checking the suspension out. If that's all good, maybe have them adjust alignment to try and counter the wear. You'd hate to burn up a nice set of tires due to issues.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ace25
130K on a set of tires ???? WOW that's more than my beast has on the odometer...
At 190K I kept telling myself "Got to replace these things before it starts raining". Well it's something like our 10th year of drought in California so I kept letting them go.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:22 PM

I have 50k on a set of Dunlop signatures and tread is still deep af

Search this Thread