Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

M/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Default M/C

HEY GUYS....I have an 05 M/C LT with the tire monitor system in it. It tells me that one of my tires is low on air,not any spcific tire,but in general of the 4....Does any one know if i can use a product called FIX-A-FLAT in the tires to control a small air leak? I bought a can of it the other day but reading the back of the can it says not to use it in cars with the tire monitor systen becuz it might clog up the sensors. I know that the newer M/C'S '06,'07 the system tell u exactly what tire has the leak,IEfront right,rear left etc etc...but my system tells me only the one of the 4 tires is low on air. can anyone help?? thanks mike

Old 10-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Default RE: M/C

Usually the monitor will send a code to the DIC when there is a significant difference in pressure. I don't remember what the exact difference is, but you should be able to look at the tires on a level plane and see if if one looks like it might need some more air. I wouldn't use the FIX-A-FLAT on it. If you suspect a leak in one of the tires, spray some soapy water over the tire and see if it bubbles up somewhere.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:13 PM

Yeah do not use fix a flat on it. it will clog the sensor and youll probably just be buying a new one. Just a thought...check them with a gauge and get it plugged if need be. dont want a blow out on the highway...

Old 10-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Question...
On the '00 to '05 Monte's. Is there an actual sensor inside the wheel/tire that senses the air pressure. The pressure monitoring system on my Grand Am used the antilock brake system to monitor the speed at which each wheel was turning. If one wheel was turning slower it would give a low tire pressure message. It usually kicked in if a tire was 7 to 10 psi lower than the rest of the wheels. When you filled the tires to the proper pressure, you had to go through a reset and re-learn process. Is this the same in the Monte's?