Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Installing Bullitts on a 5th gen.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default Installing Bullitts on a 5th gen.

Today I put my mustang Bullitt rims on. I have to say they look awesome. I thought Id do a little write up for those who were interested.

What you need:
-Wheels and tires(DUH!) I got a set of take-offs off of ebay. 640 shipped already mounted and balanced. Get the wheels that have the 235/55/17 tireson them. This way the wheels you put on will be the same height as the stock 16" z34 wheels and tires.
-4, 5/16" wheel spacers.
-20 new studs (you need longer ones to work on the new wheels)
-20 new lug nuts
-some kind of goopy substance to hold the spacers in place while you try and put the wheel on. I used some RV sealant cause thats what I had laying around.

Tools:
-15mm socket, 3/8" extention and ratchet and 3/8" universal
-3/4" impact socket and impact wrench
-grinder
-large flat screwdriver
-hammer
-T60 torx socket and 1/2" ratchet

note: The way I did this did not require the hub to be removed, so breathe easy!

FRONT: OK, get your car on a level surface and jack up one of the front wheels. Take it off and roll it aside. Using the torx socket and 1/2" ratchet, remove the two bolts that hold on the caliper bracket. Once they are out, the whole assembly should slide off and hang out of your way. Remove the rotor and sit it aside. Using your old lug nuts on the end of each old stud, knock the studs loose with the hammer. Now, remove the lug nuts and sit them aside. Now on the back of the strut at the bottom should be 4 bolts that hold the back plate of the hub on. Loosen the top two about half waywith the 15mm socket, 3/8" extention, universal and ratchet. Remove the bottom two completely. Now, with the large screwdriver, pry the bottom of the hub away from the strut. There should be a slot on the bottom of the backing plate for the hub. Line each stud up with that slot and pull them out 1 at a time. Now, slide the new studs in one at a time. They should fit as long as you pry out on the bottom of the hub to help them clear. Now, with the old lug nuts, tighten each of them with the impact socket until they are completely back in. Now put the bolts back in for the hub and tighten all 4 of them back up. Put your rotor back on the hub and reinstall your caliper. Now with the grinder, grind about 1/8" of material offthe edge of the caliper bracket that is closest to the wheel spokes. If you dont, the caliper bracket will rub on the back of the spokes. Now put some of the goop on the back of the spacer. Stick it on the rotor and center it up. Now put the newwheel on and tighten it down with your new lug nuts. Repeat the same process for the other side.

Back: The back ones are SOOOOO much easier to do. Remove the wheel and set it aside. Put a lug nut on each stud and knock them out one at a time. They should all come out without anything being in the way. Now slide your new studs in the holes and tighten them in with the lug nuts and the impact gun just like the front. Now, place the spacer on the rotor just like you did on the front. Put your new wheel on and tighten it down with the new lug nuts. Repeat process for other side.

Last step: Stand back and admire your work for you did a good job!

I will have pics of the final result tomorrow. I want to wash the car before I take them cause I didnt have time to today.

If you have any questions or problems during the install, PM me and I will help you out.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Default RE: Installing Bullitts on a 5th gen.

wow hell yeah i look foward to seeing this!

Old 03-22-2008, 06:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes, lets see some pics! I'm thinking they are similar to my Eagle 077's.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:13 AM

nice man! can't wait to see them. nice writeup too

Old 03-23-2008, 10:23 AM

5 Year Member
Default Bullitt pics

Ok here she is all washed and shining. Check these babies out.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Default RE: Bullitt pics

All the nerve of leaving that f**d badge on those beautiful wheels. That is against MCF laws. HEHEHE. Just kiddin, they look great.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:05 AM

5 Year Member

Hey dont dis ford I like ford. I know a guy that makes chevy decals specifically to go on the center caps of wheels. Im gonna pick up a set of red bowties to go over the ford logos.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:33 PM

Pretty bad *** man! I plan on getting some black bullitts for my monte with the silver lip

Old 03-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The rims look good, man.
But yeah, they'll look much better when the blue oval is gone.

Bonus points for thinking outside of the box.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:07 AM

Sharp rims, man. Beautiful color on that car too. I like the profile those Pirelli's have on that wheel, it really sets the car off.

Quick Reply: Installing Bullitts on a 5th gen.