Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   Install shorter dog bones and have a question :p (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/install-shorter-dog-bones-have-question-p-33817/)

Franks 03SS 01-29-2012 05:33 PM

Install shorter dog bones and have a question :p

well it's been a while since a new mod :rotfl::p and i installed some short dog bones from ZZP just for the hell of it lol

anyways i did feel a diff between the shifts and also my exhaust a tad louder at idle?? :wtf: is this normal?
http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/a...F/b1429977.jpg

PacerSS 01-29-2012 06:16 PM

Might want to check your downpipe mating surface to the headers. The change in engine angle might have opened up a gap at the top of the connection.

01 Monte SS 01-29-2012 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by PacerSS (Post 413195)
Might want to check your downpipe mating surface to the headers. The change in engine angle might have opened up a gap at the top of the connection.

X2 I've heard that would be the place to check first if going to shorter dogbones. I was considering getting a pair but my headers need all the space they can get, don't think the shorter ones would work out for me seeing how I lost some clearance with the Speed Daddy's

Franks 03SS 01-29-2012 06:42 PM

i checked earlier and everything looked fine :confused:
i'll be removing them tomorrow anyway :rotfl::p should've done my researched before i bought em since all they're going to do is wear out my trans and engine mount
and my monte isn't even lowered :o lol lol that was a waste of $40+! anyone want em for $30 shipped? :p i'll make a FS thread tomorrow

01 Monte SS 01-29-2012 06:46 PM

Exactly HOW bad are they for the trans and such? I'm considering them so I have a set when I send mine in to get powdercoated. I drive about 5-10 miles a day would probably only need them a week or two at the most? Think it would hurt anything lol.

codell17 01-29-2012 06:47 PM

What benefit would shorter dog bones give you?

01 Monte SS 01-29-2012 06:50 PM

Replace your stock dogbones with these 1" shorter replacements. Shorter dogbones will hold the engine forward, which has a few benefits as shown below.
Better oil pickup during drag racing
Removes vibration caused from lowering the car
Better axle alignment for less HP loss through the shafts
Increased weight on the front tires for better launching
Added clearance to sway bar for header and downpipe installs

That's what zzp says anyways.. My only concern is they won't work with my headers...

Franks 03SS 01-29-2012 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS (Post 413209)
Exactly HOW bad are they for the trans and such? I'm considering them so I have a set when I send mine in to get powdercoated. I drive about 5-10 miles a day would probably only need them a week or two at the most? Think it would hurt anything lol.

well theyre not BAD, supposably they'll just wear out your trans and engine mounts faster :p according to some grand prix forums lol
if you want em let me know. i bough from ZZP for $40.16 shipped

Originally Posted by codell17 (Post 413210)
What benefit would shorter dog bones give you?

stock 3800... nothing :p they reduce vibration if you lower your monte.

BlackRainSS 01-29-2012 06:51 PM

Wow welcome back Frank haven't seen you on here much lately. Cool little mod but, but it is always good to do a bit of research before ya dive in I guess lol I've learned that by now

01 Monte SS 01-29-2012 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS (Post 413214)
well theyre not BAD, supposably they'll just wear out your trans and engine mounts faster :p according to some grand prix forums lol
if you want em let me know. i bough from ZZP for $40.16 shipped

stock 3800... nothing :p they reduce vibration if you lower your monte.

I'm going to strap the engine forward when I get time to see if they'll even fit. Just went out and looked but I don't think they're gonna work :thumbsdown: not a lot of room there lol